Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

what a pain in the @$$

busdriverdavidbbusdriverdavid Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello, everyone,
Let me first start by saying if it hadn't been for forum when I was first injured, I would have gone crazy wondering what was going on with me. The shock and confusion of being able to walk one day and using a walker or cane the next and then there is the pain.....oh the pain.
I'm 46 years old very active, my condition started about 6 months ago as a dull off and on thing in my hip then after a couple days would go away and travel to my knee, go away then my ankle. But like most people when you hear hooves you think horses not zebras, so I felt that I had strained or bruised those affected area but without pain in my back was the last place I thought was the source. Then 8 weeks ago I was opening a metal gate and felt a pull but didn't think much of it til next morning couldn't move. Knew this was more unusual then typical back strain, with some engineering was able to get out of bed and when I first noticed what several of you discribe as full left leg lightning pain and hard to discribe to anyone who has never experienced. I feel like I have been very proactive about my treatment and recovery, over the last 8 weeks where I have not improved and have gotten worse. Can't sleep much and only in a reclyner, walking is with walker, good days with a cane, no streigth and numbness in left leg to foot. MRI shows a very large disc bulge L5/S1, looking at the images looks like a slug hanging over my L5 and can clearly see bulge crushing my nerve root. Dr. Put me on tramadol and steriods. Two neruosurgry consults both suggested surgery. Don't. Really want back surgery but not getting better but watching life go by from my living room window in my reclyner.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can.. so you may be facing surgery! gettting atleast two opinions is a great idea if not more!!! it is to your benefit! be sure and stop by the "Back and Neck Surgery" forum for more input..good luck on any upcoming pain procedures!! if you do decide on surgery you have the possibility of becomming pain free!! this is something to consider! be sure and drop by the forum anytime..during recovery it can make a long day go by alot faster!! Jenny :)
  • Hi I am Shiela 39 years old.I drive a bus also and I might not be as bad as you are (yet) I feel you. the pain is horrible and I just found out this week I might not be able to return to work. Wish sucks because I love my job and the kids plus I have wonderful insurance, but the doc. think the bus is what started the flare up and I hurt worse when I drive, I live in the country we have nothing but dirt roads on mt route. I Feel like a prisoner in my own home.
    I have center canal stenosis L4,L5,sever bulging,L3 L2 L1 mild bulging I have been seeing a chiropractor for 5 months now and I don't get much relief.I also get sever headache but I havent got a MRI done on my neck yet why? and who know. I hope you feel better soon keep me post from one driver to another. P.S I have appointment next month with 3 different neurosurgeons.
  • Hello and welcome :)))

It's great that you've been proactive about your treatment! Keep that spirit up. Sitting in a recliner watching life go by and wanting to be out there in the middle of it (you did say you were very active) is no good. I understand not wanting surgery, so explore the many options available. It may be that surgery is your best option, but working with your docs you'll come to that conclusion together. I hope you find healing and can get away from that walker and back to your active lifestyle! (8)
  • HI,
    Sorry you both are miserable with disc issues, and I hope your dr's will help you out. I used to drive bus many years ago, and it's awful on your neck and lower
    back...The chiropractor worked for awhile, but then the problems just got worse...Had 3 lumbar surgeries (and gave up the bus thing) and now have had 2 cervical fusions. For me, surgery is a life saver, and though I can not do all the things I used to, I'm much better than I was!! Talk to your dr's, and see what the best options would be.
    Good luck and less pain!
  • Shiela, I am not qualified to advise, but it is just my educated opinion not to utilize the chiropractors approach without your Drs permission. My concern is that if manipulation is involved, that it could cause more harm than good.

Welcome to spine-health David. I certainly understand how you feel watching life pass you by and I do hope that you are feeling better. Hope you check back with us soon?