Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Screws in my back

Alan2234AAlan2234 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had a spinal fusion in 1970, and am trying to find out what kind of screws they would have used in my back at that time. I want to get an MRI.
Thanks, Alan

• Can you get a copy of the surgery report? That would probably have stated which type of screws and rods they used.

If not, I am sure that the doctor will have an idea of what to do. It may be that they will do a CT scan instead.

Let us know what happens, then we will know too. :-)

• Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately there is no way of contacting the doctor as it was done in a military hospital. I have had a CT scan, but I was told that the MRI was the only test that would show the pinched nerve which is what I think I have.
  • Titanium has been the metal of choice since the early 1950s for almost any surgery requiring a metal. Then in dentistry starting in the 1960s.

So most likely titanium, but no guarantee.

Contact a VA hospital surgical department. Especially the hospital you were in if possible. Ask them what metal they were using in the 70s. They may not have surgical records for you but they may know what was in use then.
  • Thanks for the comment.
    I was reading up on MRIs, and some comments referred to burning caused by the stong magnet. I am concerned about the burning and the stong magnetic force actually pulling the screws loose.

• As long as your hardware (screws and rods) are titanium, you will be fine as they are not magnetic.

If you have magnetic metal screws, they will not be able to do an MRI scan.

• Yes, as jellyhall said, titanium is fine. I have had many MRI's with the hardware I have in my back (2 cages, 1 plate and one very large bolt). Good luck.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.