Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery postponed

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I haven't posted in a while because things have been crazy around here. We had a flood in our house and had to have our laminate floors replaced in the living and dining rooms. On top of that, I was battling a bad case of bronchitis. Oh, and then I accidentally spilled water on our laptop, so we had to have the keyboard replaced. Yes, life has been crazy busy!

I'm not sure where I left off the last time I was here, but I had my second opinion at UPenn on 6/7. I had postponed the surgery from 6/8 to 6/17, so that I'd have time to process the second opinion. Good thing because with the repairs on the house, it would have been a nightmare dealing with that while recovering from surgery, plus taking care of three kids. The second opinion went great. He is recommending the same surgery as the first NS, but he is being a little more careful about it. He explained to me about the risk of wrong level surgery, which is why he likes to count up from the bottom. For that reason, and due to numbness and tingling in my legs, he wanted me to have a lumbar MRI, which I went for on the 12th. He said some people have an extra level in their lumbar spine, so the MRI would help him pinpoint the correct level during surgery. I decided to have the surgery done at UPenn, because this doctor specializes in the thoracic spine, and I just felt more comfortable with him. He is going to go in through the back, cut away a small piece of bone to access the discs (T8-9 and T9-10), and remove the parts of the discs that are herniated. He only does surgery on Wednesdays, so I'll have it done on a Wed and stay in the hospital until Friday, since I live an hour and a half away from the hospital. I go back to UPenn tomorrow to go over my MRI results and schedule the surgery. Then I'll have to go back for pre-admission testing.

So, that's basically it. I'll keep you all posted on what happens tomorrow.

• You have had a lot going on in your life the last few weeks! I sure hope things settle down for you.
    Sounds like you have a lot of confidence in your second opinion surgeon.

All the best at your appointment tomorrow. Please let us know how it goes.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I'm glad you have found a surgeon with whom you're comfortable, and who thoroughly explains things.

Good luck.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • So glad to hear from you. I check back frequently to see how you are. I know you were hurting but so glad you decided to go for the 2nd opinion. Now you have more confidence in your decision and I guess the added silver lining is that your house woes are taken care of.

Keep us posted on your new surgery date. I am glad you found someone you feel comfortable with. You sound to be in good spirits despite the craziness in your life!
  • Glad to see you did get that second opinion, and too that while the same surgery, done a different (and less invasive) way. Good for you!!

Sorry to hear all that other stuff happened, but too, glad to see most of it is out of the way now and you can concentrate on healing. Welcome back!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • You've certainly been in a mess !! Good that it's sorted now and you've seen the second neuro and are very happy with what he's proposing to do to help you.

Hope all goes well for you.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008