Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Preferred Med for Chronic pain??

MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,368
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Pain Medications
For those of us that are saddled with the burden of having to take opiate based pain medications, I thought I would share my experience with a new one.

Over the past 6 years, I have been on just about every pain medicine for my chronic pain (and now back-leg)possible.

Starting with Tylenol 3 and then Tramdol (Ultram) I fairly quickly moved towards Norco and Percocet after having diminished efficacy to those I moved toward Oxycontin and the devilish side effects of that med prior to the new formulation. For a while I was switched to MSContin and even did my time with Methadone, Suboxone, and Fentynl. Short acting - Long acting - This that and the other .... Most recently after inconsistancies with the Fentynl patch I found myself back on MSContin with Percocet for break through ... still with coverage issues.

Over this 6 year period I have gone through 2 complete opiate detoxes in an attempt to "reset" my
opiate receptors pusurant to better effficacy.

At my last visit with my PM doc .... he decided to place me on Kadian ... this is a med that has been suggested years ago but I never had insurance coverage or the $ to pay out of pocket. There is no generic. It took 24 hours to get an approval from the state (which was approved) and resulted in a $3.00 co-pay (retail price $1339.00) for #90.

It is a capsule with "tiny time pills" much like "Contact" for those who remember that med & commercial!! I have been completely surprised and virually pain free and have rarely
needed any break through med. So for those of you who maybe struggling with your pain pain(s) and have RX med coverage ... It maybe worth a conversation with your physician about. For me ... I have a feeling that at least for now ... In the short run (hopefully long term)it has been a life changer!!

Still looking for answers and supporting, those of us who may need support,

Spine-Health Moderator
Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!  (Click on Welcome to Spine-Health)

• I took Kadian for a long time and did great on it. Same thing with Avinza. After about a year, it started to wear off sooner and so now doc has switched me to a med called Exalgo which the pharmacy had to special order so i havent tried it yet. Im hoping my receptors get reset too as the doc said to give it some time and i would be able to go back to the Kadian as I would grow new receptors or something like that. My copay wasnt as good as yours. It came with a 60 dollar coupon and cost me 30 per month but it did work great while it lasted. Hope it continues to help you

• Wow, sounds very interesting. Including the price. I have great insurance. I will have to talk with my doc about it and do some research. Thanks for sharing.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I believe it is just a morphine sulfate or something like that but it really helped my pain level stay down fairly low compared to other stuff. The best part was I had no bad side effects from the 1st day I started taking it. No nausea or anything. Good luck Jani but make sure to ask for a coupon from the doc too. Im thinking it was good through DEC 2012. I was on Avinza which is the same thing pretty much and that coupon ran out which was why I had switched to Kadian. I always thought my insurance was great until I saw the copays and prices of some of these opiate based meds. Of course without insurance I cant imagine coming up with 1000 or more a month. I really feel for those people
  • Thanks for the info. I don't know if it is for me but I would sure love a time release pain med. I see my doc in a few weeks and will discuss it with him.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.