Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

KarenKKaren Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
The doctor who wrote the article on this site was stating that Tramodol or Ultram is very non addicting. This is totally false. This drug is very addictive. The withdrawl is not easy but of course it can be accomplished. Please do not listen to medical doctors when it comes to addiction. They receive little to no information on addiction and are just as ignorant about addiction as the general pubic is. Tramadol is being prescribed a lot because the drug company pushes that is not addictive. People actually fairly quickly build a tolerance to this drug and then take more and more just like Vicodin. The other most important thing is that it is not uncommon for these people to feel the need to increase the dosage due to increased tolerance. Don't take anything that a doctor gives you in this day and time without researching it on your own. Doctors need more training on drug addiction in medical school. Most of their training on medications comes from the profit seeking drug companies.

• I take tramadol in the form of ultracet because they took darvocet off the market. In reading the material they send it said ultracet would always keep the same dosage meaning you don't have to increase to decrease your pain. I am trying to cut back on it so really can't speak to that but I dont' really seem to be cutting back.

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • I know several people who were told it wasn't addictive, subsequently decided to take themselves off it, and gone through a rough period because no one told them it was addictive.

With any prescription medication, it's important to talk to your doctor about how to take yourself off the drug if used for any significant period of time.
  • Not even with prescription medication, any type of medication, there are worries of addiction. I know someone who was actually addicted to nasal spray, was using it even when she didn't need to, and subsequently suffered damage to her nasal cavity.

Having said that, there is a difference between physical tolerance and psychological addiction. When taking any medication, your body is going to get used to it, therefore eventually needing more of it to remain effective. "Addiction" is more psychological, the thinking that you need more, the action of misusing and abusing it, and even going out of your way to acquire it, legally or illegally. This of course, is my opinion, that I've based on reading and courses I've taken.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I think what is being said here is Dr's. claim it's none addictive. But in reality it's very addictive whether the Dr. knows or not the truth about the negative effects of this med has been covered up for a very long time.
    It's Synthetic and there is nothing good to be said about those type of pain meds. It may not be a Narc but coming off it is just as bad as WD from a Narc.

If you RX a med that addictive for pain. Then why not RX a Narc med that is just as Addictive that could possible be taken less and be much more effective.
    Because then their $%@#@ wouldn't be covered.
    Give it time the manufacture has heat on them already! They will end up labeling it differently and then they will stop RX'ing that also.

• My doc. will give me this med with no problem I get bad headache from it so I refuse to take it he replied when I ask for something different and stronger to go to the er if it was that bad, He has always been a great doc, but it was as if he wasn't listen to me. I went to the er piss because I had to pay A bill I should not had to if he had just listen to me. they gave me 2 shots and muscle relaxers along with vicodin. and told me to see him in 2 days an have him order an MRI that i had bulging disk but they couldn't do the MRI. so more money for another visit and to get some med that work and MRI. Guess what L4,L5 sever disk bulging L3,L2,L1 mild bulging and center canal stenosis now he gives more vicodin but only 20 pills and went on vacation and sends me off to a neourosuren which I cant get in to for 3 weeks. On top of that my choriprater said He was suppose to also do a MRI on my neck which was recommended in Feb.
  • I took ultram for many years for back pain. I was always told its just simply less habit forming then vicodine and lots of other narcs. After taking it for years i never had an issue geting off it and going on to diferent meds. If you start taking it in higher and higher dose then of course your body will be depended on it like any other drug. But i think in a normal dose as i used it for at least 15 years on and off its not an issue as you would have with oxycodine and morphine and such.

So i am not sure what the problem is. If you are in pain and it helps then you will take it weather its habit forming or not. Ultram also causes less damage to the liver from my understading is why dr,s prefer it over some of the other meds. Keep it at a min level of intake and you will never have the issue of geting off it. You can get hooked on anything if it builds up in your system at high levels.

I dont think many people worry about being adicted to ultram when some of us have much more drugs we have to depend on and they are very adictive.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I agree with Alex. There is a potential trade-off with many of the medicines we are prescribed for pain relief, namely physical dependence, but that's a small price to pay if you have genuine chronic pain. When or if the pain situation is resolved, these drugs can be gradually tapered and then stopped entirely, with minimal withdrawal symptoms in most cases. If the patient has become truly addicted, that's another matter, of course, but addiction is rare in pain management.

I was prescribed tramadol every day for the last four years, both a 200mg slow-release (once daily) tablet and 50mg capsules for breakthrough pain. I stopped taking it a couple of weeks ago and have had no withdrawal symptoms at all. I've been prescribed many different pain meds over the last 20-odd years, and haven't had any problems with any of them.

Having said that, I know quite a few people who have found it difficult to stop tramadol. I think each patient's response to these drugs is a bit different. Some will find it difficult, others may find it goes smoothly, with few (if any) withdrawal symptoms.

As for what one poster said above about there being nothing positive about any of the synthetic opioids, that's simply not true. Fentanyl is fully synthetic and it's extremely effective and valuable as a pain reliever. Many of the commonly used opioids are semi-synthetic (oxycodone, hydrocodone, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, buprenorphine, etc.); being synthetic or semi-synthetic or whatever is not a factor when it comes to a drug's efficacy and safety.
  • I take Tridural, which is a long acting form of tramadol. when i started taking it the pharmacist warned me of the possibility of withdrawl symptoms etc and possible addiction. He said that it is not a narcotic but is narcotic like.

• I think every person's system and reaction to different drugs is very different. Take for instance, xanax. Some people can quickly become addicted to it whereas others can stay on low doses for years and have no problems with addiction. My mother has used Xanax in small doses for sleep for the past 10 years. She takes it no more than 4 times a week. I switch between ambien with soma and klonopin for sleep so I don't develop a tolerance to either.

Pain meds on the other hand, just plain make me sick, especially tramadol and vicodin. So have all the anti-inflammatories except aleve which I don't dare use daily for fear of stomach problems. I get severely contipated and severe stomach cramps and eventually vomiting with opiods even when taking them with food so I have no choice but to avoid them.

I have been on the anti-depressant, celexa since December for depression and anxiety attacks and have no desire to go off of it, but if I did, I would go off gradually under the care of my doctor because even most anti-depressants cannot be stopped cold turkey. I have had no side effects from it and it has even my mood out enough that I can cope with the stresses of life without breaking down.

I have found hypnotherapy and stress reduction techiques along with trigger point injections to be most effective for me,but am still searching for an anti-inflammatory for the severe facet joint arthritis in the low back. I never take a med not prescribed for me and I have never taken more of a med than was prescribed and I can tell the doctor to the day when I will use it up.

So each person is different and has to find what works for them. For me it takes a mind-body-spirit approach for me to have a rewarding life inspite of my pain.

sue in ohio
This discussion has been closed.