Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery 6/16 (L5-S1 TLIF) .... 2nd day home now

doubleusnddoubleusn Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery
So Surgery day has come and gone.

The first 3 days were tough, but then my neuro made my rear thing spasms stop. After that I was up walking with and without a walker and doing some stairs.

Neuro said there was much much more nerve compression than any of the multiple MRI's ever showed which made me feel better and or like less of a per surgery complainer.

Now I have been home for 2 days and just put about .3 miles on my pedometer at lunch and will do more at dinner.

Everybody has to do what works for them but minus the spasm issue that was resolved just after surgery. I feel SO much better.

Not gonna lie the first ~3 days are tough mentally and via pain.

After that every moment forward has been great. I even voluntarily gave up my pain pump I felt so good.

For those reading and on the fence remember many in forums have had bad luck which is why they are hear.

Not everybody has bad luck, many do just fine. I feel wonderful about my choice and am glad I did it.

Goodluck to all
-wsn
Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
May 2012 -Multi Level Discography
July 2012 -XLIF 2Cages @L3L4/L4L5
Aug 2012 -All New Hardware @L34L45/L4L5/L5S1
Mar 2013 -FBSS = Pain Management until they figure it out.
advertisement

Comments

• So about 5 weeks now and...

Staples gone.
    Percs are now 6 from every 4
    Valium is retired
    Soma is around still
    Neurontin may soon get the boot.
    Cane and brave only, walker got ditched day1 @ home.
    I walk everyday. Laps on 200' driveway, and in a circle in house on rainy days.
    Just can barely drive, but don't trust myself yet, and with meds you gotta be careful.

So 5-ish weeks and works think 'come on back after 8 weeks'. Gotta admit I don't see how this is gonna add up given sitting is the absolute worst. Not sure how to decrease meds and sit 8-10 hours per day. What is the avg down time for an L5-S1 TLIF?

Somedays I feel ok, and over do it and feel dumb fr two days. Rinse repeat. But after going a whole night with no pills 8-12 hours (damn that soma) I feel like a bus hit me (pain)

When do folks without complication go back to work?

Am I being impatient at 5 weeks with try to keep min pills and think I am gonna work again 50+ hours.

X-rays on 8/3 to see how it's going.

Anybody with realistic timeline feedback would be welcomed :-)

Trying to see if I am overdoing it or being a big baby.

Thanks
    -wsn
    Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1
  • I had a TLIF on L 4 5 on 5/17. You are ahead of me in many ways :)
    I actually had another surgery in January, a cervical 2 level fusion so I had just come out of the collar before the lumbar surgery.
    You sound like you are doing well, just don't push, you don't want to go backwards.
    I had some newer symptoms after the surgery and some others that haven't gone away from before, I am hoping time will heal.

I don't know about work, my job requires me to be 100% before my return, will yours work with you and be flexible?
    hang in there :)
  • So it's been just about 8 weeks...

The Good:

I was able to the Percs down from 2 @ to 2 @6 ahead of schedule.
    I was able to stop the Valium and the Naurontin.
    I rely less on my cane now. Only on stairs and out of chairs.
    I have driven for reg distances, but try not to push it.
    I have been able to feel a tad bit normal a few days :-)

The Odd

I can do most things slow and withnin reason but sitting in a reg office chair is hell.
    Same with a kitchen chair, or sitting up in bed. Lay, walk, stand ok, sit = bad.
    Given the above and my job will be Short Terming for a bit longer. (computers).
    I just did a week of steroids to try to break past the 6 hour Perc window.
    Soma is still part of the game.

So am I the only one who hit the wall at 6 hours on Percs for pain?

PI sheet seems to indicate my leading up to surgery meds and post meds might mean I am a bit tolerant, but it also says they drop out in the 5-6 hour window.

This coming week I go to Advil in between the Percs and re-shoot for Percs every 8hours.

I totally get wanting to get down, but at some point the working / pain / reality lines will need to cross.

Anybody else have pain issues breaking past the 6 hour mark?

Is this why so may are on OxyContin? (half life)

Anyfeed back is always welcome and appreciated :-)

Cheers
    -wsn
    Jun 2011 -TLIF @L5-S1
    Mar 2012 -NonUnion @L5S1