Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Restrictions and How Long

SaddleSSaddle Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey People:

I posted a while back and can't find my original posting. I was experiencing new problems since my ACDF c5-6. Someone was spot on with the analysis that I was experiencing the "domino effect". I saw a new neuro who explained to me that there was a 20% chance of the disk above the original fusion collapsing and I was one of the 20% who experienced that. I had another ACDF two weeks ago. I am already back at work part time and getting around really well. A friend at GNC gave me a bottle of their Vitamin A, D & E cream and it is remarkable how well that has worked in reducing the scar on my neck.

I am recovering more quickly with this surgery. I have hardware and donor bone this time. Last time I elected to have a piece of bone removed from my hip. I suppose there are pros and cons to both but as far as early recovery goes, I would say this method has been much less physically stressful on me.

I have to agree with what I saw someone else posting though- fiber fiber fiber. My problems on the digestive side have trumped any pain issues I have had.

Question. I have a horse...yes...it was a horse that probably put me here to begin with...combined with degenerative disc disease. This horse is "gaited" and very gentle. A gaited horse does not trot so riding is smooth and easy whereas a quarter horse is a rather rough ride. Not to mention the temperament of a quarter horse is not to be trusted.

How long before one could get on a horse again without risking damage to the neck? I guess I will save this question for my doctor but I see him out there everyday...waiting at the gate...pining for an adventure...and I just want back in that saddle!

I do feel pretty good since this surgery. I don't want to have to volunteer for a new one anytime soon though. It was nine months since my last one and only about four months before new problems had developed. I am praying I get a longer stint this time.

I am no expert but am willing to share details of my recovery and symptoms if you guys want to IM me. It hasn't been nearly as bad as one would have suspected.

• Your doctor is the only one to answer that question, but I'd say it's too soon. You don't want to risk any damage. You can still take care of the horse, pay attention to it.

I'm glad you are feeling good.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.