Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What tasks should I avoid?

LillianLLillian Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
I am 8 weeks post spinal surgery. Little by little, I am beginning to do the household tasks again. We bought a vacuum cleaner meet my needs in weight and ease of use. i used it for the first time today. My back is in a high pain area, Us vacuuming a task to avoid all together?

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i want to wish you the best on a recovery where you follow the doctor's orders and take good care of yourself. i see by your question, you are doing that already!! good for you!!i just want to stress the lifting part!! please be so careful as this can undo so much if done wrong or too much at the wrong time!! i know you are going to be an excellent patient and have a great recovery!! you may wind up pain free!!! that is a real possibility!!! i want to wish you the best and stop by the forum anytime! it can make a long recovery day go by alot faster! Jenny
  • Lillian,

I agree - big NO to the vacuum cleaner! I've not had surgery on the back yet, but my levels are upper lumbar, and the bottom lumbar (see sig), and sweeping, vacuuming, mopping - killer! You are post surgical (fairly new too), until, or unless your surgeon gives you a green light, I would leave that sucker in the closet!

It can take over a year to heal... Your surgeon did his part, now it is your turn to heal and let his good work take maximum effect.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • in your recovery .{there will be dust on the floor and dirty cloths in the hamper when we die!}so dont worry ..i am a very house proud person {male ..yes male} and i hate dirt and rubbish around the house .but i know when and when not to do stuff .as much as it pain me there are days when the pain is just too much {and i am 5 years post last surgey} the best thing that you can do is swimming or pool walking this should help with core stability without straining your back .just take it easy and listen to your body ..rest is very important to recovery
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • First, please share if you don't mind what procedure and what levels? I personally will give a big no vote to vacuuming - mostly because as you push the vacuum forward you would inevitably twisting the waist to some degree. At the very most, if you are determined to do so, I would actually purchase a corset to wear for these activities, not so much to be a "crutch" but to remind you of what you shouldn't do - most lumbar surgeries are "No BLT's" - bending, lifting (over 5 lb initially x 6 weeks-3 mo., depending on surgery), and twisting. So the big household restrictions in my mind would be no laundry involving a side-loading machine, no bending down for dishwasher loading, vacuuming, bending over to clean toilets etc.