Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Facet Injections today

asignor908aasignor908 Posts: 339
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all

Had my facet injections today and I made it through. There was a young lady there telling me how much she loved getting these because she felt good for two or three days ofter due to the anastetic injection, NOT the facet injections. I thought, well good, this may help me even if it's just temporary.

Well it's been 10 hours and the only reason I feel better now is because I took my pain pills. I couldn't take them for 8 hours after procedure and pain just kept getting worse.

So I this point the only good thing I can say is I got through it.

• That doesn't sound good for you. I recently had the facet injections at C2, C3, and C4. The doctor also called it a medial branch block. I felt absolutely wonderful in that area for a couple of days, so I know that the next step (RFA) will help me. I'm sorry the injections didn't help you. Did the doctor inject a steroid, or did he just do the numbing temporary medicine? If you had a steroid injected, it is possible that it will still help. Sometimes that takes a few days to kick in, and you could feel worse before feeling better.

Either way, I'm glad you made it through. Hopefully the injections will give your doctor more information to better treat you.
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Yes, they injected steroids in more than one spot. Why didn't the other injections help like it did for you for the couple of days? What does it mean?
    AL S
  • I really don't know the answer to your question.
    Did your surgeon ONLY inject the steroid and not the numbing anesthetic? I felt a definite numbness through that side of my neck, and even down into my shoulders a little. If you don't feel numbness at all, we probably had different procedures. If I were in your shoes, I'd call the nurse in the morning and ask what you had exactly and what more to expect.

Did the doctor tell you to document things with a pain journal? I had to document pain levels every 2 hours the first day, 3 times during the 2nd day, and then just one overall for the third day. This helped the doctor to see what benefit I received. Maybe this is something you should do too.

Sheesh, to go through all that and not even be numb, that is a bummer. How many levels did you have done?
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • No, he injected both, he told me as we went along. Yes I was given a pain journal to cument every two hours and then at 1 day through day 5.

I thought in your previous comment when you said , that doesn't sound good for you, that you might have known a reason or something. I just misunderstood.

The levels were lower lumber and I was injected about 3 times on each side or more for numbing and then at least 3 times per side for the steroids. Within and hour of the procedure my legs were hurting and of course I wasn't suppose to take my normal pain meds for 8 hours after.
    AL S
  • Well, I have to say today was much better and pain is down. I am still skeptical, but there is hope. I just need to see how long this will last now. They gave me 6 injections so we'll see I guess.
    AL S
  • I just had about 6 injections a week ago. Of course it always feels good with the numbing medication. And since it takes a bit of time to tell if it works I don't have an answer yet as to whether I am really feeling any better. I think so. Not as much as I hoped and I am thinking of getting a 2nd one when I see the surgeon in 2 weeks. He said I had to wait that long. Hope you continue to feel less pain!!

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.