Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie with DDD

Ferenczy36FFerenczy36 Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Newbie here dropping in for my first post. 38 year old male, 185 lbs. Moved late last year and started experiencing mild constant lower back pain. Then on New Year's Eve I slipped in the tile entry way to our home and awoke the middle of that night with extreme sciatic in my right leg. Well now 6+ months down the road, still experiencing good days, and some not so good days. The sciatic has resided for the most part, but the lower back pain is still there and very persistent at times. Last month my after starting PT at my doctors recommendation, I started experiencing even more pain and even started getting numbness in my tailbone area. Doctor advised an emergency MRI which I had done 2 weeks ago. It revealed disc desiccation and a posterior central
annular fissure at my L4-5 along with broad based disc herniation. And disc height loss, desiccation,
spondylosis, and degenerative end-plate signal changes including bone marrow edema at the L5-S1 disc. My doctor translated this as having dengernative disc disease but "nothing in need of emergency surgery" but recommended I follow up immediately with my new doctor (currently changing service providers). So waiting until July 1st to setup an appointment with the new doc. Currently they have me taking 10mg Flexeril at night to help me sleep and providing 50 5/325 hydrocodone a month to help out with pain when needed. Like I said, I will have a couple of good days without pain, but then will suddenly awake one morning in extreme pain again which then will last a couple of more days before going away. Just hoping to get things under control and healed so I can resume living a normal life.

So that's my story :)

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. it sounds like you are on the beginning of what could be a long journey!! i do hope you get some answers with your next doctor's appointment.. many times it will take seeing several doctor's till you find the one to give you an answer to your pain problems.. there are lots of good nerve pain medications out right now for sciatica.. I take 300 mg of Lyrica per day and it has helped me more than anything ever has!!i wish you the best of luck as you begin to seek treatment of your pain.. try the conservative measures as much as you can if possible.. a good pain management doctor might be your next step.. he can assist you with medications and other treatments avaialable to you other than surgery.. take care and stop by the forum anytime! Jenny :)