Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Thoracic discectomy finally scheduled!!

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
So, I got my surgery date...July 6th. Yup, you read right...TWO weeks from today!! Ack!! I'm nervous and anxious to get it overwith. At the same time I'm trying to remain optimistic that this will help with my constant pain. I go for pre-admission testing next week.

The surgeon I am seeing specializes in the thoracic spine. He is affiliated with the University of Pennsylvania dept of NS, which is ranked amongst the top in the country. He said he'll be making a posterior incision, removing a small piece of bone covering the disc on the right side, which is the side my herniations are on, and remove the portion of disc that is compressing my spinal cord. Fortunately there is no deflating the lung or chest tube involved. I'll stay overnight in the hospital 1 to 2 days, depending on how much pain I'm in. Being that I live an hour and a half away from the hospital, he said he'd rather me stay the extra night if I'm in a lot of pain.

I asked about the risk of re-herniation, and he said there's about a 5% chance. Unfortunately, if I were to have a re-herniation, he said that we'd be looking at doing a fusion, which obviously is a much more extensive procedure. He said that the thoracic spine, when operated on, is not as stable as the lumbar spine, so going back and doing a repeat discectomy would not be an option. Fingers crossed that we don't have to cross that bridge, though.

He said that he expects I should experience 95% relief within a year, but he doesn't believe it'll take that long for me to see results. He seemed optimistic that this surgery is the answer to my problems.

So, I just need to get clearance from my cardiologist, being that I have a heart condition that can cause arrhythmias, but I don't think that'll be a problem. The NS office is going to call them to obtain that. Then, next Wednesday or Thursday, I have to drive to Philly one more time prior to the surgery for pre-admission testing. I hope these next couple of weeks go fast. Fortunately, I was offered a desk job as a telephone triage nurse at a local hospital, and I'll be starting shortly after the surgery. I'm extremely excited to start my new job, so that should help to get me through.