Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

steroid side effects

scoobysscooby Posts: 49
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, Does anyone else get side effects from the steroids used in lumbar injections?

I have noticed that my face breaks out, (and I am not young)and my period becomes heavy and unpredictable.

I put up with it for the relief I get. Getting one next week...yeah.

Well off to take my cat and dog to the vet for their annual. should be fun! Have the cat locked up for now, before she makes a last minute get away.

Thanks!!! #:S

• but oral steroids made me fat and caused terrible water retention .so much so i had to stop taking them
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Corticosteroids: Side Effects and Adverse Reactions

The potent effect of corticosteroids can result in serious side effects which mimic Cushing's disease, a malfunction of the adrenal glands resulting in an overproduction of cortisol. The list of potential side effects is long and includes:

increased appetite and weight gain
    deposits of fat in chest, face, upper back, and stomach
    water and salt retention leading to swelling and edema
    high blood pressure
    black and blue marks
    slowed healing of wounds
    muscle weakness
    thinning of the skin
    increased susceptibility to infection
    stomach ulcers
    increased sweating
    mood swings
    psychological problems such as depression
    adrenal suppression and crisis

• yuck sweating def. yes.... I am condidering have surg done. Just had an updated mri at my request due to increasing pain. I just worry that work won't let me come back to my job. Our hospital requires you to lift 100 lbs. No one ever does that without help anyhow. I guess Nursing is now about how strong you are, instead of the smarts and critical thinking.one ever would lift someone without help. Just wonderin if anyone had these side effects, or which ones were more common.

thanks, and have a great night
This discussion has been closed.