Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Freaking pain flare! have a question for y'all....

michellemmichelle Posts: 197
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
I am breaking down and going to the doc tomorrow to address this flare ive been in for a few weeks. meds are not cutting it and i think im gonna ask for another round of oral steroids to get it back under control. however heres the deal. last time it did this he said that if it did it again he wants to do a CT with myelogram since my flexicore ADR makes a mri difficult to see. i bargained with him to wait and see because although i have continued pain i can manage it for the most part with meds and altered lifestyle. I don't want to go back on the oxycontin and i dont want to have any procedure for fear of making the pain worse but damn if i am not about to go to the ER at this moment for some relief. Has anyone had the ct myelogram and what was your experience. i know the biggest thing is a spinal headache and will have to get help with my son for a day or two. i also know that the dye will irritate the hell out of my nerve pain. i asked the doc what was the point of having it done if i am not willing to have surgery. he stated that i would change my mind if i knew there was a chance of permanent injury. hell , like i havent got the permanent injury on the nerve already. Frankly i just want to cut off the leg and get a new one at walmart or something. I am getting really tired of the day in and day out pain and it sucks that the only way to get it to a level 2 is to do NOTHING but with a one year old that is not an option. So meds and tens unit keep me at a 4 on a good day so i can function.thinking about a lifetime of pain really sucks ass and makes me want a pint of Ben and Jerry's. time to send the hubby out to get me a pint of Chunky Monkey or Half-Baked.... (kinda already there with the meds. :)

• Hey keep your head up I feel you half the time the med don't work. suppose to lose weight but cant get of the couch except to do stretches on the ball like that gonna burn enough calories. what I would do to not have this pain any more. good luck at the doctors.
  • You already know me and you got stuck with this flexicore adr K mart blue light special. Only reason i can see doing the mylogram is just to see the level above and below the adr to see if its giving out or not. If the adr has not moved whch it probably has not just like mine is still where it was put. There aint much they can do about it. Unless they try talking you in to fusing it which as you know wont help if the adr is already over sized stretching the nerve too far same as mine. Fusing mine in was a big mistake because it sure did not help the nerve.

My dr told me they have many patients with adr issues and only fusion is what they can usaly do and stop movement to see if nerve migt heal. The mylogram i had before hardware from fusion was removed and it realy was not painfull if you ask me. The needles they use now is not as large as it was back in the 90"s when i also had it and it was very painfull. There is a slight chance now days to have spinal leak but it does hapen i guess.

So i would go ahead and just let them do the mylogram just to maybe rule out the other levels going out posibly just in case. Other then that you know already i dont have any other answers for this mess. Good luck
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yeah I agree it's pretty messed up and that's what he wants to check is the adjacent levels because I've had new nerve pain at l5s1 area that I sometimes stumble cause i can't pick my foot up without really paying attention. Not a footdrop thing just a feeling thing and I trip when it's pissed off. I like talking to you because your kinda bad ass joking attitude helps deal with this sometimes . We are screwed but maybe we can be screwed together knowing we are not alone. Well .... Even alone is not that bad but that's another thread . :) j/k I told doc that don't want another surgery unless absolutely needed and there is no way in hell I'm fusing the disc in place. Guess can't be sure how to play the cards till their dealt.
  • I had L4-L5 to S1 synfix peek and now am all but paralised in so much pain it's just unreal so take the easiest path possible i so regret the surgery i thought the pain was bad before surgery it was child's play compared to now and my surgeon is not leaving me any hope whatsoever i am beside myself.

I truly should have stuck with the morphine and norco. Now i am taking Cadein, Percochet and flexirill just to not want to blow my brains out and it really isn't helping much at all.

I cant believe i am in this position NO SURGERY if you haven't already had it and don't let anyone tell you different take pills it is better than this.
  • HI,
    Well, you certainly do have problems...I feel for you ..We on this site understand misery..and long term at that! My suggestion...go have the test...you need to know what you're dealing with, before you can make any other decisions. Luckily those tests don't last as long as MRI's do, so that's a plus, if there's any plus's to be found... We're damned if we do, and damned if we don't, so I say go for the test...even if it makes you miserable, at least you'll know what's going on.. Feel better - eat ice cream.... :)
  • Thanks Frannie, I took your advice and downed a half pint of cookies and cream. I'm gonna have the test as soon as i hear back from the dr. Im on the downside of the steroids and they are kicking the pain back in again. So in the meantime let's raise our spoons to the legal drug of choice( no not heroin ) .... Sugar!!!!!
  • I just tried to scare the pain out of ya, did it help?
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Awwww alex you were jerking my leg this morning weren't ya darlin? I knew I felt some of that burning tugging feeling ..... Hmmm how do ya explain the wet? ( from a half a country away) hahahahaha . Wow this could go either way of interpretation. Hee hee . Time for coffee
  • Any tests that may help is worth the trouble! To bad sugar doesn't work lol
    Kadian and Percochet seems to be working within reason for me just sucks it took so long to find the right combo one thing for sure i'm not going under the knife again!
This discussion has been closed.