Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

stenosis and pain

lisanelsonllisanelson Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
This all started on Feb,17th,2011 I saw my normal doctor and he had me have a xray done ..it came back with spondylolisthesis grade 2 on L5 on S1...then he had me do a MRI which came back as grade 1 (1/4) spondy on L5-S1( anone know why the MRI says grade 1 and the x-ray said grade 2?) ...degenerative disk disease L4-5 and L5-S1..also Moderate neural foaminal stenosis L5 level bilaterally...I still have no idea what that is but the dr's have said it's the most pressing issue right now..anyone know what it means?? I was referred to the pain management where they did 3 epidural steroid shots..they didnt touch my pain or help in any form..I just got done with the second set of 3 shots which was the selective nerve root blocks...they do help but the day after i have this throbbing and burning in my lower back and today I have actually been feelin like a hot poker was inserted quickly then the burning pain started and hasnt left me yet..it also comes with dizzyness...it's worrying me. The pain management dr. told me yesterday that he was sending me to see a surgeon..I am worried. The pain is never gone..it's my left side,throbbin an burning in my lower back all across..down my left buttock like hot lightening bolts and my left leg down to my toes get very weak..I have fallen several times because it just goes numb...I am 33 years old..and my normal dr. will not let me work anymore. Anyone have advice or information they would mind sharing with me? Thank you.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Lisa;

It was nice to meet you last night in chat! For your question about why one said Grade 1 and the other said Grade 2, I would suspect that it's just the way each of the radiologists read the images. You could send the same imaging to 5 different people, and would have slightly different results from each.

For the stenosis, here is a link to explain it, from this site: http://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/lumbar-spinal-stenosis-a-definitive-guide. Bilaterally means it's on both sides.

Have you tried ice or heat on your back? Try each, some people find heat works (like me) and others find ice helps more with calming the pain.

Hope that helped some, and that we see you in chat again!!! Take care;
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Lisa,

I echo Kelly, it was wonderful meeting you in chat last night...err this morning! (G)

Like Kelly said, different radiologists, different reads. Also too keep in mind that an x-ray is for hard items such as bone, and an MRI for the soft tissue views. The x-ray too is a side or front view, and the MRI is sagital and axial. "Slices" of the area being examined.

My x-rays show "a small loss in disk height" at my C7/8 level, but the MRI shows minor, and the EMG shows moderate. Different tests, different results = different doctors reading the views or results for report generation. It is all part of the overall puzzle. Imaging, electrical studies, physical exams, discograms etc. All to hopefully give your doctor or surgeon the best picture for the best resolution.

Hope to chat with you again, enjoyed it!! Again, Welcome aboard!!

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you both for responding..and it was nice meeting you too...sorry I haven't been on here lately...my backs been just killing me and I have started having headaches almost daily. Sometime, it is really hard to get out of bed and stay out of it. I'll try and be in chat later on, hope to see you guys there:)