Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cant take the pain anymore - a very common thread

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spine-Health Announcements
All you have to do is search on the subject and you will find scores of threads from different members.

I've read most of them and from what I gather about 70% comes from people who are new to Spine-Health and have been experience some sort of spinal problems recently. The other 30% comes from those who have been dealing with chronic pain for at least over a year.

My message is the same to both type of members....

You have to learn to deal with the pain

I am not saying that to be cruel, I am just stating some cold harsh facts. But after being here for over 3 years, I've read so many posts talking about the same subject. In my mind, I have broken this down to:

A - Those whose pain is so intense, that almost all the medications and treatments provide only some relief.

B - Those that are very uncomfortable, not accustomed to pain and what big time relief.

C - Those that are just beginning to experience pain associated with spinal problems and are looking for the quick fix, the one magic pill to make things all better.

D - Those that complain about their pain, complain about their doctors, complain about their pharmacy, complain about their insurance company, but wont listen to any of their doctor's recommendations.

Those that have been used to intense pain for a long time are probably the better ones in knowing how to deal with it all. Those that are looking for the magic pill have yet to come to terms with their pain and the reasons behind it.

Here are some basics in learning how to deal with chronic pain

1 - Make sure you have regular visits with your doctor and that you and your doctor are in agreement to what your medical problem is and what action plans and medication have been outlined for you.

2 - Follow ALL restrictions and limitations to the tee. Do NOT alter from these. If you feel a necessity to do so, first obtain your doctor's approval.

3 - Keep up with any Physical Therapy and/or Home exercises that you have been given. Be religious about this activity

4 - Don't put yourself in harms way. In plain terms, do not do something you shouldn't be doing. ie Lifting 50 lbs of anything, twisting and turning, etc. Also do not try to be stoic and play the hero. If your situation is getter out of control to the point where you do not know how to handle it, contact medical professionals. For starters, it may mean a visit to the Emergency Room.

5 - Learn to relax. There are many techniques that can be used to help you relax your body. Our minds are still the most powerful ally we have. A trained mind can do amazing things when it comes to off loading pain. This can start as simple as music therapy, aroma therapy and branch out to more relaxation techniques.

6 - Dont keep things inside. If you can not talk about your problems to the ones closest to you, find someone, some group that you can talk to and they will understand.

7 - Be 100% honest with your medications. If your dosage is 2 of anything a day, keep it that way, even in the midst of a flare up. If you feel you need more medication, contact your doctor first. Do not get into the mode of self medicating.

8 - Healthy Habits. That includes good eating, not smoking and limiting alcohol, tea/coffee/soda.

9 - Never give up. There are going to be some good days, some ok days and some miserable days. You need to have the strength to get by those terrible days. As bad as they may seem, you will get passed them.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com

• Pain is relative - sort of. What I mean is someone "hurting" for 2 or 3 months saying they can't deal with "it" anymore, vs some of us going years and years...

I guess some of it goes to acceptance and understanding of what is going on, and too of course the right 'blend' to knock it down.

I like many (more so of late) have pity parties due to it, and then we have our good days. For instance my back and legs are screaming at me today, and tomorrow my hubby (and I want to to) want to go to the cat rescue. These are "the" big cats, not our pets (G) I am soooooo hoping my legs back off!!

You are so RIGHT... ATTITUDE (positive) is the biggest key to this whole mess!!! :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.