Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

ACDF Surgery c4-5 yesterday.

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi Everyone.

I had the ACDF 4-5 yesterday around noon, got sent home today around noon.

I am doing great I guess, that's what everyone says. I am in a fair amount of pain.

I'll post more details later, but for now I just wanted to let everyone know I'm ok.

My mri said I had a "small left paracentral disc protrusion" The surgeon told me after that it was a severely ruptured disc with fragments everywhere. In his 47 years of experience he has never seen a cervical disc herniation that bad in someone my age. (23). He said is normal that I still have a lot of nerve pain, because the disc material was really effecting the nerves. I am kind of worried about that, but I do trust him.

I am super sore in my neck/back muscles, back of my head, and a headache. My incision cite is very puffy and sore. My throat is not that bad. I can talk but I have a deep voice, any high notes don't come out at all.

I am writing a blog (NOT TODAY) and I will let everyone read it when its done.

Thanks for all your support.

Donna
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
advertisement

Comments

• Donna,

Welcome to the other side!! :)

Glad to see you're back with us and doing well. Try to rest, walk when you can (gets the oxygen flowing), eat well and hydrate.

Chat again soon. *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • So glad you had the surgery and your surgeon was able the clean out all the debris. Your nerves will take time to heal. Your voice will heal. It's great your throat is not bad - I still can't quite swallow normally after 8 weeks. Take the pain pills to keep on top of the pain. Listen to your body.

I look forward to hearing of more good progress.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Glad to hear that you're doing okay!! And yes.....like Karen said, keep up on the meds.

Keep it up! :-)

Charlie

• It sounds like you are doing well in your recovery.
    Well done and keep it up =D>

I am watching your progress with interest and look forward to reading your blog.

Allow yourself plenty of rest, frequent short walks and follow all the surgeon's instructions. Hopefully, the worst is over.

>:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Yesterday was pretty rough. The morning at the hospital I was great, but the car ride home and the bath my mom gave me really was too much!!

Good News: I was actually able to sleep last night!! I can start falling alseep on my side with my pillows bunched up around me, and then slowly move over to my back. Unfortunatly, I can't stay on my back that long because I have some other issue down there- Don't know what it is yet but I don't have pain in my legs. I had that before surgery. I am hoping it is just from moving my body weird for so long and it will go away with time but who knows.

Anyway I woke up about every 3-4 hours, took more meds and actually was able to sleep :) :) :) :) I haven't slept in a while so I feel great now.

Taking it easy :) Gonna start the next part of my blog.

• Glad to hear that you are actually getting sleep! Getting sleep is so important when you are post-op and healing. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones!

My pain can still take my breath away at times. Give yourself time to heal. When you start PT you might experience more pain returning. This all depends on how much your muscles have weakened. In my case, I've been having more pain in different parts of my traps than before.

So glad to hear your surgery went smoothly and hoping you will be pain free soon! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • I agree - the ride home from the hospital was rough. After that I wasn't allowed to ride in a car until 10 days after the surgery. Even then I felt every bump and turn. As with most things, that has gotten much better with time.

So glad you are sleeping and keeping pain levels down.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I don't go the forums often but I checked the neck pain forum just in case you'd posted. Was good to hear from you, and hoping each day you get better. There is a surgeon that does surgeries @ St. Joe that does the X-Stop procedure. I will likely be in touch with that office soon.
  • I 'heeheehhe' because the difference between my C5/6 and C6/7 where so different!!! My C5/6 I lived in my recliner, my C6/7 , me and my bed "Got along great." I still haven't figured that out, but....different levels, different sleep okay-dokays?

Your spine will be in "adjustment" to your spine being fused. With that stated...you will go through spasms....tightness, pains you never had... Your nerves are having to deal with the changes - many of us go through that..more back (spasm) spaces....dang butter fingers. Try to judge your progress via "WEEKS" not days. It will be more "normal"if you judge by "weeks." To be fair, my surgeries have been cervical, but am facing lumbars (2) in the near future. Regardless of neck or lumbar..fusion pushes us to spasm mode.....and new symptoms...

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thanks Paul!!!

Today I woke up feeling "great" but now I don't feel great at all. I am trying not to take my pain medication (Percocet 5/325) because it gives me a huge headache. I may just try to take a half a dose.

I am starting to get a glob feeling in my throat. :( I have to call the dr today for an update and to schedule my two week appt. I am going to see if he will give me a muscle relaxer. I have soma 350 but they took me off that for some reason I don't know. My shoulders and upperback are really tight, and my upper back is cracking a whole lot. :/

• Hi, folks. First of all, I hope Donnabe's surgery goes well. Good luck!

I'm a little nervous about the surgery, of course.

Single fusion C5/6 with plating. My neurosurgeon says he can do the whole thing with endoscopes. So swallowing shouldn't be a problem, and he says I can drive in 24 hours. Back to work in 3 or 4 days. No collar. His nurse/assistant thought more like a week.

I did read an article from 3 years ago talking about being able to do the whole procedure minimally invasive. Anyone else heard of this? Are the NS's claims reasonable?

I have every symptom except bad myelopathy. I only have the urinary hesitation and stiffness in my legs. But I have pain in my neck - really bad pressure that never goes away - and lots of radicular pain. I've tried cervical epidurals, trigger point injections, transforaminal nerve root blocks, botox. I'm taking lots of meds, and I'm sick of it and getting worse every week. Definitely time for surgery.

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Hi Mark!

My surgery went well, I had it on June 23rd 2011. I did not have any swallowing problems. I had a muscle spasm in my throat that started 3 months post op and has not completely gone away but the symptoms are not as bad as it was.

I can't believe your surgeon is telling you 3-4 days BACK TO WORK? I went to work 2 months post op and wished I had taken more time off. The neck needs time to heal after a fusion. I did not have a hard collar but I wore a soft collar for 2 weeks post op and after that I wore it at night for a couple months (my choice). You should be careful driving after the surgery regardless of how the procedure is done. The neck will be very inflamed and if you get in a car accident before it is fused (which takes an average of a year no matter how invasive the procedure is) extra damage can occur.

Good luck with your surgery and keep me updated on how it goes.

advertisement