Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm new and about to have surgery

LexusLLexus Posts: 14
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm 4 days away from having surgery and a little scared about it. I will be having a C6-7 Anterior Diskectomy and Fusion. The place I will have this done is a spine hospital. I've seen on here most everyone stays in the hospital for a day or 2 but I'm going in as an outpatient. I also worried about getting sick after surgery. I talked to the nurse at the hospital and she said they will use a patch for sickness. I'm also concerned about how sore my throat will be. I wanted to see what thoughts and things anyone else has been through with this surgery. And how your recovery was. :S

• Hi Lexus
    I wish you the very best outcome possible for your sugery. I had my second cervical fusion in January of this year, but my experience was different. It was done in a hospital and unfortunately I had some complications so I was there for 9 days. From what I read on this board I think that seems to be an exception. It is healing now and I am still recouping. I had another surgery last month, on my lumbar spine. So my road will be different than yours to travel.
    my complications involved a condition I already had, SVT, which is a rapid and irratic heart rate. I also was not able to swallow after surgery. I went from a feeding tube, to swallowning thickened liquids before going home. I can now swallow most things and am patiently awaiting the rest of the healing. Time seems to be my best friend.
    I hope your experience is smooth and that you have the very best outcome possible. I will watch for your updates!
  • Sounds like you have been through a lot. Thanks for responding. I will post after surgery. We all just need to stay positive. Let me know how you are doing.
  • I hope you will be able to do the outpatient recovery but you may want to stay in for proper pain management before you go home. Here's a post-op must have list for you to prepare for after surgery. many of the items are for lumbar surgery but just take what you need for c-spine surgery like bendy straws and getting soft foods. www.spine-health.com/forum/back-surgery-and-neck-surgery/post-op-must-haves-0

I think there's a post for others having surgery coming up also in the surgery section where you may find more support. Wishing you the best for your surgery and a complete recovery and sending up a prayer. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I had ACDF 8 weeks ago, but I had a 4 level, so I was in the hospital. I have recovered fine so far. I had the expected issues after - swallowing, talking, etc.

When you meet with the anesthesiologist before the procedure, talk to him/her about your concern with nausea. They should be able to give you something to minimize the risk.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I am sorry you have to go home the same day... I had ACDF c4-5. On Thursday. I went home the next day which was about 24 hours. It would have been awful to have to go home that day.

The inside of my throat has not been sore at all. I have little to no problems swallowing. A little more problem opening my mouth wide.

My pain is mostly at the base of my skull, the outside of my neck, my shoulders and the spine in between the shoulders.

My voice is deep and I can't talk loud or in a higher pitch. No one recognizes my voice on the phone!

I had a fair amount of nerve damage so it will take a little while for the pain to go away.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • It's been a week since I had surgery and everything went very well. I was so worried about getting sick after surgery and never did. The doctor used a sickness patch behind my ear which was placed on an hour before surgery and I kept it on 24 hours after surgery. I was also worried about a sore throat. It was a little sore but not unbearable. I did well with the outpatient surgery. The nurse made sure I was doing ok to be sent home. I'm having a little pain through the back of my shoulders and it's still sore in my throat. The incision site looks good and healing well. I also still have numbness in my hand and fingers but not to worried about this because I read on here it could take several weeks to several months to over come this. The numbness also comes and goes so I guess that's a good sign too. I was told not to do any housework but since I feel so good it's been hard not to do anything. I hope I'm not doing to much. I was told to walk as much as I could up to 1-2 miles. I will update again after my 2 week check with my doctor and let you know what he tells me.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts :)))
  • It sounds as though you are doing amazing. Still be very careful as I see many cervical patients think they are doing well and over do it, to only have a set back. The issues you are feeling in your shoulders and back are more than likely muscle related. Are you still using a muscle relaxer? Maybe on your return you can ask about doing some message therapy to help loosen all those muscles up. Keep up the positive thoughts and hopefully this will all be a thing of the past soon and you will be out leading a normal busy life style. Keep us posted on your post surgery visit.
  • The only meds I'm on is Oxycodone W/ARAP 5/325 and I take one maybe every 6-7 hours. I try and keep reminding myself that I have just had surgery to take it easy. The pain I was having several weeks before surgery was so bad that surgery seems like a piece of cake. I know a massage therapist and she also ask me to find out from my doctor if I get a light massage

Thanks for your post