Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Fusion

lisalesoskyllisalesosky Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Seeking info from others who have had spinal fusion of L3-5; husband recovering. His largest discomfort seems to be what he calls Restless Leg Syndrome. Is this a normal process post surgery? Also, any other ideas for adding comfort to his life at this time (1 1/2 wks. post op).

• Welcome lisa. Yes weak legs is prety normal i believe after fusion after the nerves were messed with. Most have severe leg pain after fusion but if he has just mostly weak legs that should improve once he heals. Dont forget the muscles where the incision was weakens it and takes long time to build it back up hopefuly once he gets in to pt.

Massaging his legs might give him a litle releif and help circulation other then that hopefully his meds keep his pain under control. He is still very early out of surgery and fusion is rough on everyone. Just dont let him do what he should not do and mess up the fusion untill he if totaly fused. Best wishes to both you and him in recovery. Keep us informed of his progress or just have him join in on the forum to help him pass the time for it can be very boring during recovery time.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Welcome. As Alex said follow the doctors instructions and don't do any lifting, etc. Walking is good. Its a long recovery so take it easy. A long handled shoe horn is helpful as is a grabber. Loose fitting elastic waistband pants are great since incision(s) can be tender for quite awhile. I sleep with a wedge under my knees and this takes the pressure off my back. Good luck and keep us posted.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.