Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

neck getting worse

dstevensbobddstevensbob Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I am now back to work after 6 weeks off going to different docs, MRI,Xray and Cat scan - have several issues with my neck and going to physical therapy but I needed to get back to work to keep my job - I went back on Friday from ST disability and my boss is being a complete jerk - I am his admin, asst and nothing has been done in 6 weeks - he is pressuring me to get caught up and "understand my position as a team player" I feel like I am being bullied. The stress just makes my neck feel worse - I have two bulging discs with protrusions into my spine and also stenosis - no surgery at this time but going back to neurosurgeon end of July. Any advice on how to handle?

• Any time my stress level goes up my pain level goes up, and work could trigger it very quickly. It became debilitating.

Did the Nurosurgeon tell you that you needed surgery? If so, would they possibly get the surgery scheduled? If you could get it scheduled, all the better. You then could tell your supervisor your surgery date.

Document your conversations with your supervisor. If there was anyone else present, make sure to make note of that as well. Your supervisor doesn't have any right to know your medical issues. You could discuss with your supervisor that you what a reasonable work load would be. You could talk to your doctor about getting a note from him indicating a "reasonable accommodation" is needed due to your medical condition (for example, shorter work hours or more frequent breaks, etc.). This could put your supervisor on notice.

If you have a Human Resources department, would you feel comfortable discussing your issues? If not, can you go up to the next manager up, or another manager? I know it can be difficult.

If you don't feel comfortable with other options, then document, document, document, in case things continue to degrade with your supervisor.

I am so sorry that you are experiencing this. I have been through it as well.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Karen: Thanks for the input - I am looking for another job but at 56 it has been very difficult. Anyway, I understand the stress definitely makes my pain go up. The neurosurgeon has h]me scheduled for another appt at the end of July - I am sure I will need to take a vacation day for that - I feel like they are trying to get me to quit - and I would if I could afford it - but I am in no position to do that - I will need to keep a daily documentation of what I get accomplished and any kinds of comments I get in the negative along with copying any emails - Unfortunately, I really hate to be in this position because I am really good at what I do and do not deserve this kind of treatment - my boss is under a lot of pressure - I work at a bank and I think all banks are under pressure - but no reason to treat me this way - no one from my office called once to see how I was doing the whole time I was out. anyway not more of the pity party - I need to toughen up and just get used to it, I guess.
  • I was on sick leave and I had one surgery in 1/21/11 and one in 5/11/11 and in April 2011 my health insurance and job was terminated. I never was even told about it until I check my ins statement online. Sad they did that a few weeks before my last surgery and they knew the date I was to go back to work in the middle of June but no job and I worked as a warehouse manager for the Lexington, KY diocese catholic mission at their warehouse in Louisa, KY. Been there since it was built and all together for almost 6 years. They are supposed to help people but they couldn't help me. I know it not what it's claiming to do. But it's not my place to judge. I hope all goes well with you.
  • I am so sorry to hear what you are going thru. I myself don't know how things will progress. lbritt, you and I seem to have had a very similar path, I had cervical fusion on 1/25 and Lumbar TLIF on 5/17. I am just waiting and hoping that I will be able to resume work. I have a job that requires extensive car travel. Time will tell what happens in the future.
    dstevens, I agree with Karen, do keep notes on the situation, not sure if it will help, but it can't hurt. I will keep you in my prayers and hope that you will be able to do what it takes to heal and be healthy as soon as possible.
    I will watch for your updates
  • I worked in a bank, too. They usually have lots of policies. If so, make sure you know and understand your short term disability program if they have one and get a copy). See if there is any language about how long you have to return to work before qualifying for a new short term disability without it being tied to your previous leave (many times it's 30 days). Even so, short term disability policies generally are good for 6 months. Does your state have state-sponsored short term disability or family leave?

Check if you have a long term disability plan and if you are participating in that plan (some include employees automatically and get a copy). That takes over after the short term disability leave if you are still disabled/unable to return to work.

Under federal law you are eligible for 12 weeks of family leave if qualified. Some states have additional family leave laws. Your HR should be able to explain all policies and related laws.

If it gets to be too much pain and stress, see if your doctor would approve your going back out on leave. You don't want to change jobs right at this time if you would be giving up benefits to get you through a surgery and recovery.

Sorry if I am overwhelming you. I just want you and others to understand what may be available to help in this difficult time when we are in pain and needing support, not a hard time.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Depending on your state law it may benefit them to get you to quit vice a lay-off or firing. By all means do document it may help you in the long run. Good luck to you, please let everyone know how you are doing.
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • HI,
    Sorry to hear that your pain isn't stressful enough, now the boss is adding to it...Bad situation....like everyone said, document everything and if necessary, have your dr. take you out of work, or specify less hours, days, etc. And see what type of disability insurance you may have...
    I was out of work for 7 months last year, for 3 surgeries, and when I finally went back in mid-November, I worked 6 weeks and was laid off. Collected unemployment for a few months, then had to stop that as it was going to be another cervical fusion front and back, and 1 week in hospital...
    I filed for social security disability and it went through in 5 weeks....I was amazed...
    Hope things work out, and the dr's get things straightened out for you.... keep us all informed as to what's happening! Good luck..
  • Bosses can be JERKS!! So sorry you have one of those! Sometimes they try to get you to resign = better for getting another job? Yeah right... (and too lack of benefits!)

I hope you have answers soon..

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.