Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

One year to the day that hubby had his lumbar fusion

beaverbbeaver Posts: 189
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Lower Back Pain
Last year he went into the operation after being told that he would be in a wheelchair within six months. He was in tremendous pain but so positive that this would be what he needed. He walked out of the hospital four days later with no pain aside from the surgery site.

One year later, he is gardening, mowing lawns, golfing and we danced at our nephew's wedding on Saturday. He is very careful to keep his weight down and he has continued to walk every day that he can. He never bends to lift anything, just crouches down and uses his legs.

And, at 66, he is a walking testament to what a positive attitude, careful following of doctor's instructions and a wonderfully gifted surgeon can do. Well that, sheer luck and a nagging wife who keeps him on the right track.LOL

We have much to be thankful for.

• Congratulations to you and the Mr. I remember when you first posted about him and it is so very awesome to read about his success and his going on with life! Cheers to you both :)
  • Beaver,

Always love to hear good news in spiney land! It sounds like your hubby has been really good about his post surgical care and personal habits, and it is paying off! Congrats for your hubby!!! Thanks for the update. :)

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • That is great to hear. Personal motivation can really do wonders for some folks. Glad to hear your hubby is doing so well.

• Positive news about his surgery and recovery and glad he's doing so well. I remember he was in such pain before surgery. So glad he's so positive it sure helps with the healing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • when I read the title of this post, I thought that it was going to be from you :-)

What great news to hear how well your husband is doing. It is so encouraging to hear of a success story. There are several of us who had surgery last year, who are still here and struggling either with our original problem, or like me, with another part of the spine playing up.

I wish you both all the best and hope that you will enjoy being able to be active together again.

Take good care of each other :D

• As he has arthritis in his spine,feet,wrists and ankles. We are just so lucky that he had no nerve damage before the fusion. This kind of thing teaches you to live every day to the fullest as we do not know what is coming in the future. Just wish that you also get your pain under control.
  • Wonderful!!

I am so happy to hear a great success story!

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I have to commend you for standing by your husband through everything. I know I cannot thank my husband enough for helping me everyday with my needs. He is always here to help me wash, dress, cook, go shopping.....etc. It's souls like you that keep us going & help get us well. Although I have not had surgery yet, I still need a hand in everyday life because the pain is intense. That is love.
This discussion has been closed.