Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

thoracic spine surgery

shushusshushu Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am new to this. I am having thoracic spine surgery this week and am scared to say the least. I can't seem to find much info on this type of surgery. My doctor said I have a large herniated disc that has calcified, pinched off spinal fluid flow and pressing into my spinal cord at T6 T7(I think that's the area). He said I have other areas of concern on the thoracic but not for surgery yet. I have had a lot of pain and weekness in my legs off and on. I just had neck surgery in Nov. (an ACDF) and really don't want to have to do this yet but I guess I have to. I don't like going into the unknown. He has said that he would make a 3 to 4 inch incision on my side, remove part of my ribs, colapse a lung and drill mm by mm til he gets to the disc. He said it would be a 6 to 7 hour surgery. I don't know of anyone else who has had anything like this so I don't know what to expect immediately after the surgery as well as weeks to come. I would greatly appreciate someone who knows about this or has been through it to help me out. I also have severe Rheumatoid Arthrits which greatly complicates things. I am 41 years old.
Thanks in advance.