Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Can pain make you dizzy?

t9crushedtt9crushed Posts: 118
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
I don't know what's going on but lately when I have bad pain I get dizzy and have to lay down. It seems to be when a get bad pain in the middle of my back and my muscles are real tight. It's not sharp pain but a deep aching pain like my bones are in a vise. I also get nausea and have the sensation that my spine is unstable like something is going to move the wrong way.

I don't think it's the meds because I have been on the same thing (hydrocodone plus 1/2 a Flexeril at night) for 5 years with slight increases.

• Sometimes pain increase can cause spikes in BP, which can cause dizziness. I'm not saying this is your issue, but it's a possibility and is certainly worth a look.
  • Pain can make you feel like you are going to pass out if its severe enough. No mater how much you rest the pain makes you feel so tierd even when you know you are not tierd. Especialy if its nerve pain . Nerve pain makes you jumpy and very on edge and very hard to keep your thought in tact cause the stress of it can wear you down real bad. Geting dizzy is common for me also at times especialy having to sit. You would think siting down would help but the stiffness and pain can make it imposible to sit where you feel like you are just going to fall right out of the chair.

I personaly find it imbarasing feeling like that in public when you think your feet are just going to give out and people looking at you having no idea what your problem is. Its like being the walking dead. The fatigue is 1 of the worst to deal with next to the spinal pain and weakness with it because you can look perfectly normal and nobody can see you are hurting and cant wait to get out of the situation when you are among other people.. Back pain skeletal pain fatigue all combines to nothing but a big frickin mess.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I know when mine gets bad, I get nauseous and dizzy as well. But it doesn't have to be just the nerve pain, musculo/skeletal does it to me too. And, like Robin mentioned, my blood pressure sky rockets.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I've found that pain can cause some degree of dizziness, especially when I overdo things, such as walking and carrying too much for too long, or even just after trying to clean up my apartment a little (I tend to do this too often for my own good). I can definitely empathize with the sensation of deep aching in the bones and that vise-like feeling. I suspect that's caused by a mixture of osteoarthritic problems and stenosis, although it can be hard to tell what exactly is causing what, at times.

Sometimes my back/neck pain makes me feel really out of it - as if I've just been bashed all over with a bat. I feel a deep, gnawing pain all through my back, often with intermittent sharp, stabbing pains. My torso, arms and legs feel very stiff and sore, sometimes with a buzzing, 'electric' sensation and some numbness in the limbs. There is also quite often a lot of muscle twitching, accompanied by a general feeling of heaviness and exhaustion, and sometimes dizziness. I've found that the only thing that helps when this happens is to find a place to sit or lie down as quickly as possible, and take medication, if necessary.

(In addition to chronic spine pain I have high blood pressure, gout, GERD, GAD and Tourette Syndrome, so one or more of those could be contributing to it as well.)

• I have had some weird things goin on with my blood pressure lately. Normally I am a little low, around 105/70 but it does spike some when the pain is bad.

Since my accident I have always felt my heartbeat pulsing in the veins near t9 and just below my breastbone plus various twitching and spasms. Recently that got worse so that you can see the pulsing below my breastbone and I could feel it all the time. I had that for about 6 weeks but it stopped before I got to see my doc. ;))

My pulse seems to be moving around too, mostly high.. One day I took my own blood pressure and it was 90/60 and my pulse was 90. For 6 weeks I felt like I was having a panic attack all the time.

I get light headed if I stand up too fast due to the low blood pressure but I think this is different. The nerve pain is an interesting thought because it feels like when I have this certain feeling in my back it goes right up to my head. makes you feel sick too.

I have been tired more lately, usually I can't lay down during the day because of the nausea but now I have to lay down a few times. Sitting is not an option so I feel like I can never rest.
  • deerod1ddeerod1 Posts: 1
    edited 01/09/2016 - 8:12 PM
    I was doing a little shadowing in front of a mirror just to see how I looked when I punched. Then I guess I went a little too forward with my left hook and hit a cabinet causing my hand to feel pain. I was holding my hand feeling a lot of pain and then I felt nauseous. I was wondering how can that cause me to feel nauseous?

For helpful information please click on link
    Welcome to Spine-Health
    Liz -Spine-health Moderator