Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

too much pain

jamshidjjamshid Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
It has been a while since i have been here, i have not been in a good place but i am fighting all of it!! I am unsure as to whether it is the state of my mental health or the medication i am on, but i have never slept or been in bed (by myself) for 15 hours straight. most of the time i really cant be bothered doing anything, i am seeing someone about it and they say i am coping well. to be honest the constant pain is getting on my nerves. i can no longer hold a coffee cup in my left hand due to lack of strength and the doctors seem to think i can cope until atleast three months after my lumbar surgery scheduled for the end of july, i am unsure if can keep it together for another four months. i still do not know or have been told why my discs are failing, i now have six that have decided to go their own way, november i only had five, all i have been able to get out the doctors is "lets wait and see" which does not really help me.so now L2 to S1 has failed T2/3 and C6/7 have also failed. the pain level is something i do not want to ever feel again. I do not know why this is happening and if i can ever get out of this, it never seems to end and the people around me dont seem to understand or why i do not want to go around smiling all the time, i just want it to all go away. i can not use my left arm properly, sit for long or stand for long. it takes me approx 45 minutes to walk 1000m and everybody seems to think that is alright. i find myself crying for no reason even in my sleep and they also think that is normal. i do not know how long i can keep this up.

• Never give up hope in finding a Dr. to help you. Perhaps a second opinion Surgeon can help or Physiotherapy or pain injections from your Pain Management Dr. will help you get through this.

I've had chronic pain for over 3-1/4 years and really just try to get on one day at a time using ice/heat and walk when I can and do strengthening exercises and take meds for nerve pain and back and leg pain. Please see your family Dr. to see if he can help you get through this. Best wishes for your surgery next month. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I know a little bit about what you're feeling. I looked forward to having a fusion in August 2008 to help get my horrible pain under control. One week before the surgery, my surgeon informed me I had too many levels to fuse and she wouldn't do it. It took me until November of 2008 to find someone to help me out. I really did not think I would make it those three months. I could barely walk and sitting was nearly impossible. I hope you'll hang in there. I know it's very difficult to see the silver lining to this big grey cloud. There are many here who understand. Feel free to unload anytime.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Well my Dr rang me to ask if i minded if he could delay the the date of my fusion as he has a meeting the following day 2000km away and does not want to leave me not under his supervision. It is only a week but it already feels longer. Why is it if you change dates with them they penalize you, but when they do it you can not do anything but just go with it!!!! I am still walking like a penguin, an old man penguin. I do walk faster in the morning so i try to do what i have to then. I also have a new symptom to add to my collection which is my toes have a life of their own now and want to move all the time to try and get rid of the pins and needles. I also can not work out if i am getting foot drop or it the way i am walking, but i seem to drag my heel my Dr thinks it will go when i have the fusion. I am not too sure. Anyway that is my update, I still feel like this is not going to end especially as it is racking up my back>
  • jam are they giving u anything for relief? Any muscle relaxers? Anything or are u on your own?
  • I am back after a long time and three geranls in five months (that was fun). I have so far had micro surgery on L5-S1, which failed five days later and put me back in hospital with strange pains in my legs and a need to pee!! Nothing was found after twelve days and MRI and CT scan. So fusion was the only option, I under went that one a month and a bit after the first due to insurance timing, L5-S1 again. I had to learn to walk again (without falling over or dragging my foot). The sugeon found massive scarring on the nerves and muscles, which had caused the first op to fail. So now I have two rods and four screws and disc failure up L2, it only used to go up to L3 but L2 decided to join in. Two months after that I then had C6-C7 fused, which has taken a lot of the pain away in my left arm and hand but I still have limited feeling in my first two fingers and thumb. Since then I am trying to get my life back on track but can not seem to put any muscle back on ( I lost 10kg, I know not alot but I have never been that big), I am trying to get back to 80 kg and seem to be doing the two steps forward, one back, two forward and then three back. I managed to withdraw myself off the pain meds, which I did not want in the first place as they were opiates never mind the lyrica (interesting drug that one), I feel I can cope better knowing the pain is there than having it masked all the time and I can think! I have been told I will never be able to go back to my old job (carpenter, 22 years)as all the others will fail even more and now have to decide on a new path and have no idea what to do. I feel like my life is on hold, with L5 to L2 out, T2-T3 out still and a suspected T7-T8 (too many CT's last year and they are unsure what an MRI will do with pins and cage) I feel like the hole I am in is getting bigger and my ladder has been stolen, everybody tells me this is normal but I have never been so inactive in my life or unfit. Even taking my dog for a walk is a long and painful process, my personal life is suffering, my partner/girlfriend is understanding but even then there are times when I think it gets too much for her, which I can fully understand. I no longer have any drive and my get up and go seems to have gone. There you are, my rant is over for the moment.
    Look after yourselves.
This discussion has been closed.