Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe back and neck pain with vertigo

Meucci24MMeucci24 Posts: 38
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hello all, glad to have found this support board. My story is not unlike most others I've been reading here. Somehow that's a comfort.

I have had an MRI and CT showing: Disc bulge L1/2, L2/3, L3/4 (with mild stenosis), L4/5 (with severe stenosis), L5/S1 (with severe stenosis).

I also have severe left convexity lumbar scoliosis, and a 9+cm pelvic mass. My doctor has decided to assume it is a uterine fibroid. My mother passed away quickly of Ovarian cancer, so if it were that it would really do no good for me to know as surgery tends to spread the disease faster.

I have radiating pain down my left leg/shin when I walk, but I can't use a walker or cane due to arthritis in both shoulders.

Here's the kicker, it's my neck that has always hurt the most. I get severe stiff necks, and now also suffer from vertigo daily and nightly. So much so I've had to block both sides of my bed due to falling out of it in my sleep with dizzy spells. I'm sort of a mess.

I've been to a neurosurgeon who was not very interested in surgery due to the severity and number of fusions that it would require and the results would likely not be to my liking. I'm only 44 and have always been extremely active.

I was a dog groomer and trainer, a bartender and a tournament pool (billiards) player in my former life. Now I lay in bed for days at a time. I don't drive any longer due to the vertigo and back issues. I've been having some very dark days lately and just needed a place to talk sometimes. Sorry for the long post! Just wanted to fill you in as much as possible. I'm also allergic to nearly all opiate pain relievers and even tramadol, so all I have is Ibuprofen, Diazapam and Amitriptyline to sleep.

Thanks for any support, and just for "listening" to me. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Christine
advertisement

Comments

• It's rough to see you're having so many pain issues right now and I would get the vertigo checked out by your Dr. I had severe dizziness and went to ER and had a CT scan of my head. Everything was normal but went through an episode that required meds from high blood pressure so you need to get that part checked out by your Dr. and getting a referral to a Neurologist.

I also have c-spine issues with an impingement at C7 and my Dr. told me to sleep on 2 pillows because of positional dizziness in bed Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo (BPPV) and sometimes caused by crystals in the inner ear and also can be caused by a virus. Some meds can cause dizziness also but you need to see your Dr. concerning this and there are meds such as Gravol and antivert that could help. I found Gravol helpful but it made me sleepy but got me through the worst part. I now take Cymbalta and Lyrica for nerve pain in my neck and arm and my leg caused by nerve issues in my back going to my leg. Do you take any nerve medications?

For your lumbar you may want to get more than one opinion from a Neurosurgeon or an Orthopedic Surgeon.

As for your abdominal mass I would get a second opinion from a Gyne Dr. who can do a hysterotomy Fibroid removal)where they can remove the mass if it's causing pain or do more tests depending on what ever the Dr. thinks is best for you.

Welcome here and hope we can be a support to you while you're going through all this. Take care. Sara

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad you stopped in! i am sorry you are suffering from chronic pain!you have many pain issues and that is even more difficult to deal with! please have a good look around and make yourself at home! stop by anytime.. the forum is a very friendly place, full of information! good luck! Jenny :)
  • Thank you for the support and kind words Sara. I did have an MRI on my brain to ensure there was nothing going on up there with the vertigo..and just as I suspected there is nothing going on up there (most of the time, lol).

I just got accepted for paratransit today so I get to start going to PT again, YAY! I am just about to call to get set up again with them now. I'm hoping they can at least limber my neck up a little and they may have better advice than my doctor. I go to a low income clinic and they just have so little time it's hard for all of us there.

My doctor suggested forcing the vertigo, by laying back as quickly as possible, over and over until I "deaden the nerve" that controls that. It doesn't seem to have any effect, since I get vertigo no matter what when leaning my head back. I think it's my neck.

Thanks again for listening. Sometimes it just helps to vent a little.
  • Thanks for the support Jenny. Sometimes that's a huge help in itself!
advertisement