Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Worse then I thought I am Scared to death.

ShySShy Posts: 23
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi my name is shiela I have made a few post. I just found out today that I will need surgery I still am going to see 3 more neurosurgeon which will make 4 neurosurgeons opinions, I don't know maybe I am in denial or something,like one of them will say don't worry you will be find in a few months with rest and meds. Has anyone heard of laser surgery. Or have you had it done. I cant sleep food makes me ill due to being depresses,I hurt all the time, I miss camping an hiking, I couldn't wait all winter to go now I cant go anyway...Listen to me poor poor shiela. I understand a little but not enough, all I know is 3 of 6 doctors said I needed surgery or I will only get worse. Scared in Ohio

Med vocdine/ib 7.5/200 dizampam ib 800mg, and I swear it is not strong enough.

I have sever center canal stenosis in L3 L4,L4,L5 along with bugling disc L1,L2,L3,l4 are mild L5 S1 bilateral facet arthropathy
L4 L5 diffuse disc osteophyte complex, ligamentum flavum hypertrophy and facet arthropathy resulting in severe center canal stenosis

• Welcome to Spine-Health.

Have you put an ortho spine surgeon on your list of those to see for input? I think that might be a good idea to throw in a couple of those rather than 3 more neuros. Just my opinion, though, and I also am opinionated as far as making sure they're fellowship-trained and only work on spines. I'm not in the minority on my thought there, and wanted to throw that in.

I know how scary it is to be facing surgery (I've been there twice), but trust me when I tell you that so many times the anticipation is worse than the surgery itself. Lumbar is more difficult than cervical, at least for me, but it was totally worth it, and I also had stenosis. The pain from stenosis and facet problems can be excruciating I know. I also had those problems. I'm 1-1/2 years past my TLIF and doing very well, considering. I mean that my job requires me to lift heavy boxes, bend a lot, etc., but I'm able to do it where pre-op I couldn't even stand for more than a few minutes.

Be sure you have complete confidence in your surgeon and feel comfortable with him/her.

Just think - if you get the surgery soon, you will be camping and hiking by next summer. Maybe not the way you did before, but you'll be outdoors without all the pain you are experiencing now.

I don't mean to make light of it because, like I said, I know how scary facing surgery is, but you really just go in, get put to sleep, then the next thing you know you're awake, in your room and on to recovery. The recovery does take some time, but at least you know the surgery is over.

Anyway, sorry to type so much, but hope I helped even a little to calm you down. You can PM me any time if I can help you in any way.

PS Forget laser surgery, too much bad stuff out there on that. Maybe one day... 8>
  • HI Sheila,
    I'm sorry you are in such pain and are so afraid of needing surgery...Your info says you certainly do have problems in the lumbar area... Make sure he is certified in this area, that you trust him, and go to have things fixed. I've had 3 lumbar surgeries and I function fairly well, and they were back in 94-95. Things are a bit more refined now, as the dr's keep getting better and there are more options available.
    Yes, you will be sore for awhile, and need to rest but you will feel better with time. Surgery can be scary if you've never done it before, but just think of how you will function when it's over and you're out hiking again! Try not to be so nervous....maybe you could read up the prodedure and understand what the dr is going to do, as knowing what's going on and why, could ease your anxiety a bit..it works for me...
    Good luck, and will be looking for your next post
    to let us all know how you're doing!
  • ortho spine surgeon-What kind of doctor is this none of my doctors have mention them ,i have heard you guys say their names a few times but don't know what kind of doctor they are. As confidence in my surgeon, oh ya if I don't get a good feel when talking with them then I don't ever go back.Had Referral for my colon scope didn't not like him arrogant and gave me wrong info, on my own medical history red flag..he said I had to many bladder infection to be able to take the pills that I had to have the drink to clean me out, I said to my self you only had one bladder infection in your whole life and that was right after my c-section 22 years ago did not use him lol i am rambling sorry can't sleep again. thanks Cathie,& Frannie for your support also. by they way anyway ever here of the laser surgery??? :? :S
  • Welcome to spine health. I know that it is a hard decision on what surgery to have and who to perform it, I am in the same boat now.

An ortho spine surgeon is and orthopedic surgeon who only deals with spines.Some orthos deal with other issues (knees hips etc) so you would want one that is fellowship trained in spinal surgery. It is a great idea to get an opinion from both an ortho and a neuro.

Glad that you joined us here. Please keep us updated on your journey.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012