Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Youngin, 22 y/o, L5-S1 herniated disc.

djluminusddjluminus Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey all, I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm 22 y/o, feeling way too young to have back pain but here I am...

Been having back issues for years. I think what began it was a soccer injury when I was 13-14, collided with someone and fell straight on my back. Ever since that day was never able to stand up straight, bend forward and touch toes, right leg would spasm. Thought nothing of it for years, then started working different part time jobs past 4 years.

All went to hell about 7 months ago, was working at a restaurant in the kitchen, lots of standing, right leg back started tingling some days then one day helped a supervisor move a keg even though it was not part of my job description. About 30 min later had severe pain, burning.

Left that job, tried to heal first two months,, kept getti.g worse. 5 months ago saw dr's, had first epidural in April and 2 more (2 in S1, 1 in L5) in May.its been about 6 wks since the last series of shots. My symptoms both got worse and changed after the shots

Currently I still have light pain in some positions, but feel prrtty good laying prone or standing up. I was not able to sit for the past month, but am able 2 since the past few days but it is still uncomfortable.

Any tips,'m help, support is welcome, I feel, too young to have these problems.

Please forgive typos I did this on my phone because I really hate sitting at the comp right now.

• I obviously can't give you medical advice, but I have a herniation at L5-S1 (and L4-L5) and i'm 24. It's been just over a year since my right leg first started going numb and several months since the paralyzing pain.

I tried the epidural and found no relief from that, but i also worked with a physical therapist, chiropractor and pilates instructor for several months. The best thing you can do is strengthen the muscles in your core but i found a lot of relief in decompression therapy. I can't say i'm pain free, but my new normal is completely tolerable
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry the epidurals did not work for you! they do not work for everyone! please have a look around and make yourself at home.. stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    So sorry for all you are going through and that the injections weren't effective.
    For me...seems my treatments are trial and error.. Most all my epidurals caused such nausea and pain worsened. Only one time effective with lessening my right foot crazy making pain.
    Mostly, I think it's very important to communicate to your doc everything you are experiencing...so he can try to determine next step...treatment...med.. you know?
    Take someone to appointments with you if that would help you remember things..options doc tells you... general support.
    It's not easy having life become so limited. Keep working with doc and second opinion maybe...I dunno.
    We all should I guess..but with being so young.. keep your health as a top priority...everyday.
    Just my thoughts....Keep in touch
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• Thank you so much all. It is very hard dealing with this every day but I an beyond thankful it is getting better. I don't know if the epidural didn't work, my symptoms have improved just very very slowly and the epidural created new symptoms as well.

Currently its finally got to the point where I can drive with a lumbar support for about 30 min to a hr. I look like a caveman because I've been too afraid to sit down long enough for a haircut and I'm worried because my grandfather just passed and his funeral is coming up. I want to go of course but just not excited to put myself through pain. >_<

Trying to stay strong,
  • Hey there... I read your post and know 100% what you're talking about. I'm 28 and have had back pain since age 11. It's been a LONG road for me that is still going. I was hoping to find some younger people to talk to who have similar issues. I have herniations at T12-L1, L3-4, L4-5, L5-S1 and yes, thats 4. I've had 6 epidural steroid injections without relief. Its just terrible, I know. Where do you live?
  • to the group. Have you been to see a fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon and have you had an MRI done in order to get a diagnosis? Glad that you have seen a bit of an improvement although slow form the ESI's. Have you tried any other treatment, physio,heat/cold or tens?

My condolences on the passing of your grandfather.You are in my thoughts.

We are here for you!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Maybe we can start a forum topic/group/thread or something... for young people with back pain/back injuries? I have found it hard to find other young people to talk to about my back injury and the situation I am in. What do you guys think?

My case has similarities to everyone in this thread.

Injured at 20 and now almost 23.
    There was no sudden snap or twing in pain - about half an hour after lifting a heavy person the pain increased and increased and has been there ever since.
    Only abnormality found is an internal disc disruption of the L5/S1 disc.
    All treatments are trial and error
    Pain in left side lower lumbar area and particularly in what feels like the facet joints. Associated nerve pain in my left leg, groin, buttock.
    24/7 pain means I have been removed from my job as a paramedic and have to do a desk job.

Djlumnis I know my case is different in many ways but I just want to let you know that you are not alone! I feel too young to be having this kind of problem as well. The best advice I can give you is to find one doctor who is going to stick by you for the long haul and strategically tick off the possible problems one by one.

I you would like any further advice let me know. Best wishes!
  • First I want to say that I'm sorry for your pains and I hope that you can nip this before it gets any worse. I am also 22 and have had issues since I was 17. I wont rant here because I just made a post with my situation. Although it is nice to talk to and get advice from everyone it is good to be able to also talk to people my own age once in a while even if there aren't many on here. Keep me posted with your progress if you can.
    Fall 7 times, stand up 8...
  • Sorry to hear about your issues, man. I am 23 years old with intense back pain as well, and I know what you mean about feeling too young for stuff like this. I hope that your condition is healed in time (sooner, hopefully), but in the meantime if you want to talk about it, I'd like to listen. I feel really lonely with my friends who I live with and so connecting with some others who are in similar situations sounds inviting. Best of luck to you.
  • Hey there! I just posted my intro on the main page. I'm a 26 year old with a herniated c3c4 (right before my wedding!). I had my first back surgery (L5S1) when I was 16. It sucked. As if high school wasn't bad enough.
    I think for me the worst part of being young with a bad back is how confused my peers are. Most people in our age group haven't had to deal with chronic pain and don't understand that it won't get better in a couple of days. I hate having to turn down invitations of friends going clubbing and telling people, "no, I'm not allowed to dance. I have a herniated disc."
    Well, I hope that things turn up for you and for everyone else who posted. Take care
  • Hey all! Thanks for all the words of encouragement and everything! So sorry it took so long for me to respond again, I was able to make my grandfather's funeral (a 1h30m plane ride) OK, and I think that made me realize I had recovered much more than I thought, I had just grown so used to avoiding sitting at all costs.

It has now been about 2-3 weeks since that trip and when I returned I was able to take a trip to the North Georgia mountains to a cabin with some good friends and I was very happy and thankful to be able to go, albeit both trips I needed aspirin and my muscle relaxers (Skelaxin).

I also was kinda down about the situation and the very slow recovery and busy focusing on my stretches and physical therapy. I am so glad I stuck with everything and rode everything out.

Currently my pain level is probably a 1.5 out of 10. Since the past 4-5 days I have not needed to take aspirin/ibuprofen at all, I have progressed to forward bending in physical therapy, I can sit down with good posture for 2hrs+ before I feel the need to walk around, though I still prefer to stand or walk than sit. And I can finally sit at the computer again so I can finally check my mail, updates on forums such as these, etc.!

I am still a little bit wary, my injury took a very VERY long time to heal and is still healing (its probably been about 7-9 months since this started), the docs say I can get another round of epidurals if I need them or if it starts getting worse ever in the future. Right now I seem to be fine, I have been so happy and fulfilled with life since the past month and I think much of it has to do with getting back out, getting active, and reconnecting with my friends and going to social gatherings.

This whole ordeal has been the WORST thing I have ever dealt with in my life, I've felt so many feelings from pain and agony to depression, despair, hostility, anger, futility, but thankfully did not let any of them get to me for long. Just thinking about the difference in my quality of life 3 months ago and now makes me thankful and give praise to the Lord.

I am a little worried that I start back full-time at college in 2 weeks but I'm not too worried, my PT thinks I should be practically fully recovered by then. I am more than willing to talk or discuss injuries like these, my experiences and my recovery, after going thru this I know how hard and sapping it is of your will, and I definitely felt bouts of great loneliness at times, so if anyone wants to chat please feel free to drop me a line.

You can message me on here, but since I don't check it often I am also on AIM: djluminus89 or you can talk to me on facebook: (edited) actually msg me for fb info, don't want spam ><
  • I am 28 and it sucks bad. That about sums it up. Message me if you like.
  • Now I am facing the TRANSFORAMINAL LATERAL INTERBODY FUSION. I have bulging, torn, herniated discs at every lumbar level but my L5-S1 is like a pancake when all other levels look like scallops. (Height analogy).... I HATE SITTING THE MOST AND WANT TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS HAD A SUCCESSFUL FUSION AT L5-S1 and how long before they could sit (RIDE IN A CAR!!!!) without pain. The microsurgery crap (foraminotomy/partial discectomy) didn't work--- NO SCIATICA---JUST A BURNING BELT LINE NEAR BUTT 24/7....Tom in FL :(