Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Woke up this morning to severe pain :(

oliversmommaooliversmomma Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
Hey ya'll,

Haven't posted on SH in a while. I have been struggling over the last couple months with learning how to deal with my mid back issues/pain. Currently seeing pain management Dr. and finally found a med regimen that I can live with. Well, this morning I went to turn my alarm off and I guess I twisted the wrong way or something, but felt a pop in my mid back slightly towards the right and instant severe pain. Have taken my normal dose of morphine, norco, and mobic and STILL in severe pain. I take Soma at bedtime so I'm thinking of taking it a little earlier because it feels like severe muscle spasms. I've been on heat all day off and on. I'm praying it's just muscle spasms. I barely turned though. I'm very frustated. It hurts terribly to even breathe. Just wondering if anyone has ever had this happen?

Thanks in advance!

• You should be using ice in case it's a muscle about 15-20 minutes a few times a day to get some relief. If it lasts longer or any other symptoms like pain or tingling or numbness in your foot you should see your Dr. and he may want to prescribe an anti-inflammatory only if you haven't recently had surgery you shouldn't take an anti-inflammatory. What's your history could you write a few words in your signature so we can know your condition so others can help you and if you have any previous surgery for your back?

I have Degenerative disc disease and facet joint issues and my back pops sometimes but with severe pain there could be something else new to your condition and your Dr. should assess you and see if it's a muscle strain or disc issue. Keep us posted how you're doing. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hope that you are getting some relief since your post.Did you take the soma and did it help?

I had a similiar thing happen last evening. I bent to pick something up (bad, slap my hand) and as I came up I felt/heard a pop in my back. I did have increased pain last night and this morning, but it did seem to settle back into the "normal" pain.

I too was wondering about your back issues. Could you give us a bit of a reminder on what your spine problems are?

Charry gave great advice on icing and when to call doctor.

Hope you have a good night.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks ladies for the advice. I fell off the top of a plane in 2000 while I was in the military. At that time, I had an Xray done, and nothing was broken, so I was just given tylenol for the pain and told to rest. My NS thinks that all of my back issues stems from that accident. I had ACDF C5C6 March 2011, Carpal Tunnel Release April 2011, and now have disc issues along with DDD thoracic and scoliosis thoracic area. I am seeing a pain management Dr. as I am not going through any more surgery in my future seeming that the previous didn't really help my issues. I think the pop was a muscle strain because it has gotten a little better and now I'm back to my general pain. I take soma at night and it seems to help. I also take Morphine ER 15mg 2 times a day and Norco 10/325 for break through pain.