Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SOO glad I found this website!!!

monkieboommonkieboo Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi, I've had severe lower back pain with sciatica (due to a herniated disc at L5-S1) and now horrible neck pain (weakened disc C5-6, awaiting new MRI results). These were due to a) high speed rear end collision 2007
b)board from my decrepit apartment falling directly on my head - june 2010 (which worsened conditions from car wreck, which had JUST gone away enough to function)

I feel so hopeless and baffled. Was fired from my job due to the pain preventing me from working well enough. (Can't blame them - I now can't stand, sit, lift, bend, twist, etc.) Am having to apply for disability and waiting so long with no income. I can't do anything around the house, have a 2 year old, and feel like such a jerk when I have to tell him things like "mommy has a bobo on her neck, so I can't play right now". Breaks my heart. Husband is getting so tired of it, cause he's not used to doing housework, and doesn't get it (can't see it, so it doesn't count, i think).

But I just wanted to say hi, and say that I'm so glad to have found this website. Reading some of the member stories and experiences really gives me some hope back, that I'm deffinitely not alone in this!

Thank you so much!

• We are really glad that you found this website and joined as well. Welcome!

Have you been to see a spine fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon for your neck and back issues?

My children are older, but I am sure it must be tough when you have a little one at home. Maybe you could share "letter to normals" or the "spoon theory"
    with your husband to help him understand chronic pain better.

Wishing you all the best with your MRI and results. Please keep us updated on how you are doing.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Welcome! This is a great website. I am so glad I found it as well!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I'm sure many of us can commiserate with you about the "hidden" disability. It is often difficult for those who have never been through it to understand. Keep communication open with your husband, and try to describe what you're feeling.

I know if I overdo it I really feel it the next day or longer.

Please let us know how you're doing.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanks again, everyone. Feeling better mentally from reading up on stuff, but still awful in pain. Hubby said today that if i'm this bad off, i need to be in the hospital and that he would not have married me if i had this issue.. My knight in shining armour. Sweet, huh?
    i understand it must be hard on him, but jees!
    have been to spine dr. But everything moves at a snails pace since injuries are from accident where someone else was at fault and is non cooperative.
    going tomorrow to place where i had mri to see if i can get radiologist report in person. My dr out of town till my appt on the 7th, no one else filling in for him. Taking it one trying day at a time. Some good will come of this somehow, i'm sure.
  • Monkieboo,

Welcome to Spine Health! Sorry to hear we have a new member to the 'neckie club!' I was going to tell you the same as Karen did - Letter to Normals, and The Spoon Story. For some, they are a great help, or maybe you can use them for a guide to write your own letter based on your specific issues that your family or friends can read.

The title "Oow Ouch!" That was due to the comment your husband made. I would have been all over my husband if he said that. I know when my stuff started going real 'south' and I had to retire, I mumbled "You didn't sign on for this $hit." to my hubby as we went down the highway. Without a blink, he shot back with "Aaahh, For better or worse, in sickness and in health..." I got such a happy warm feeling all over me, and my self pity party stopped! (G)

It just saddens me so much when I hear of spouses like yours seems to be. Maybe it was a bad day?

Hopefully when the MRI comes back, you will be able to get some answers. Please keep us posted, and again Welcome aboard!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• There are lots of friendly people here who understand and will be happy to support you through difficult days.

Looking forward to getting to know you better. :-)

• Mri results here: includes cerebellar tonsilar ectopia (among other things like cord deformity from disc herniation at c5-6) anyone know what this is?
  • Dr. appt today to review MRI. I forgot the films! But he did look over the report, and immediately say i have a "whopper". (thanks, doc.) stenosis, cord deformity (i think that's from the herniated disc), lipping and spurring at every level from c3 to t1, bulges, some kind of spondolysis (sp?).

He suggested the steriod epidural and an eeg. I like the idea of the eeg. Not liking the idea of the epidural steroid injections. Of course, he said I'll most likely wind up needing surgery anyway. Which made it a little less appealing to have epidural injections and then surgery also. Just have a bad feeling about the epidural. I know i had an epidural when I had my son, but this is not the same. And if it were a simple herniated disc at one level causing me pain, I'd be with it, but it seems too complex. Does anyone have any feedback? Good or bad experiences with cervical epidural steroid injections for similar conditions? Thanks!

• I also have spondylosis at all level from C3 to C7 causing cord compression at C3/4 and C4/5. I also have osteo bars/ridges and bone spurs with a small canal and stenosis.

I have been referred for cervical steroid injections and also for EMG and nerve conduction studies.

I don't know what an EEG is? Can you enlighten me?

I am not keen to have the steroid injections either. My neurosurgeon said they would be for pain relief only, not to improve the situation.

He wants to try to treat me conservatively at the moment, as my relexes are good and I am coping with the pain.

I will be interested to see how your story progresses. :-)