Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Using rechargeable batteries in Medtronic hand held "My Stim" Programmer

gsp4meggsp4me Posts: 11
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I'm 4 weeks post-op on the permanent SCS. Been trying to get some information on the best type of batteries to use in the hand-held programmer - I have the Medtronic Restore Ultra. The programmer uses two (2) AAA batteries - and I would like to know if I should be using regular alkaline batteries, or if it's possible to get the rechargeable kind, and keep some charging and just switch off when the batteries get low??? The tech didn't have an answer for me - and actually said she had never even been asked that question by any patients! Anybody have an opinion/advice?? I am currently carrying around 4 extra AAA batteries everywhere I go, just to be safe!!

• I use standard alkaline batteries and wind up changing them out about every 3 months. I stay away from rechargeable batteries because depending upon the device they are used in, it will go from operational to dead as soon as the batteries reach a certain point. With standard batteries, you can monitor the levels easier. I've never worried about carrying spare batteries around with me, I just normally replace them when the status shows they are down to 50%.

• The Medtronic manual specifies "2 AAA alkaline batteries(non-rechargeable, LR03)" as the power source for the patient programmer and that they last an average of 2 months.

(I hate that I remember those things and then have to go look them up.. page 144.. :lol:" alt=":lol:" height="20" /> )
  • I have the Medtronic also and use disposables in the patient programmer. I would use rechargeables, but my recharger is for 'AA', so no good in this case. If you do use rechargeables, I'd recharge them when the programmer shows 50%. My energizer disposables are at 50% now, and have been in 2 months (of frequent use).

I did learn to use name brand over store brand, tho. I was at CVS getting my pain medication refilled and the pharmacist couldn't open the med safe. She said it needed new batteries and got CVS batteries from the shelf, installed them, and it still wouldn't open. She called their support who told her CVS batteries weren't good enough, to get Duracells instead. She replaced the brand new CVS batteries with Duracells and it worked! (everyone back there got a big laugh that their own brand batteries bit) :))( Now I only buy Energizer or Duracell, since I've seen they're better.
  • Thank you for your responses! I pulled out my manual and checked that page - guess I missed it the first several times I read through it!! Medtronic Rep put Energizers in the programmer - and at 5 weeks they are only down 1 bar. My hubby did buy Rayovac batteries for me to carry around as my spares - because I had no idea how long the batteries would last - but I guess they DO last pretty long (even though I also have my unit on a lot with amplitude and bandwidth cranked pretty high). Guess I don't really need to worry about batteries quitting too soon :-) Thanks again!
  • ..but I guess they DO last pretty long (even though I also have my unit on a lot with amplitude and bandwidth cranked pretty high).
    Having the stimulator turned on or at high amplitudes doesn't effect the life of the batteries in the remote programmer. The only time the remote control batteries are used is while you're making adjustments to the stimulation, and maybe for the minute or so it takes the remote to turn off automatically afterward, if you don't use the power button to turn it off manually. :)))