Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sudden pain, unable to bend over! HELP!

katmisonkkatmison Posts: 10
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Lower Back Pain
Help! I somehow hurt my back badly. I've been dealing with herniated discs at L4/L5 & L5/S1 for a year now and just finished my 2nd round of RF (have also had 2 epidural injections and 4 FJIs, 2 on each side) and the pain was about 80% better for 2 days following the recent RF and pain has been gradually worsening back to what it previously was over the last week. Earlier this afternoon I was doing laundry and finished what I was doing, walked towards the couch to sit down, and wham! was suddenly hit with excruciating pain in my lower right side! I have no idea what I did to cause this much pain, I have been laying down on my heating pad for the last 3 1/2 hours trying to make the pain go away, I've already taken the max amount of Vicodin and Skelalxin prescribed for me for the day just over the last few hours. My PM is out of town and the office advised me to go to the ER if the pain is that bad. I am unable to bend over to touch my knees! Any idea what I did?? Does this warrant an ER visit? Or is there something I can do here at home to minimize my pain? Due to other medications that I'm on I am unable to take any NSAIDs. All recommendations appreciated!! Thanks!

• I would guess that one of those discs is acting up and
    probably leaking fluid...you can try ice, but nothing will work totally if your spinal cord is being pressed on.
    Having 3 lumbar surgeries myself, if I were you, I would go to the ER....even if they don't keep you, they can give you meds by IV for the pain...Good luck and I hope all turns out ok...
  • Sorry to hear you hurt something in your back. I hear that sometimes after RFA the pain can be more intense but haven't had RFA myself. Have you tried using ice instead of heat? A warm bath if possible with Epsom salts? But if you're not getting relief you may have to go to ER to get a shot or something for the pain. I hope it eases up for you. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • yes, the ER is always an option but they will stablize you and send you home.

That being said, I was thinking the same with Ice instead of heat. If you irritated things inflammation will just get worse with heat. Ice will be better.

The other thing is...with herniated discs (or even bulging) the rule of thumb is no bending, no lifting, no twisting (no BLT). That being said, for laundry, is there someone else in the house that can take the close out of the dryer? IF not, bend at the knees, take the clothes out...and then fold them.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • I've gone through multiple rounds of the RFLs and facent injections for thoracic and lumbar pain and, I'm sorry to say, they did nothing for me. Sounds like you need to see a neuro surgeon or find someone to order you a CT Scan to identify options. I've suffered major pain in these regions and had my L5/S1 fusion redone on 5/2/11 by ALIF and I still hurt like @#$%. The neuro surgeon says the thoracic is a consequence of the lumbar pain and my current response is yeah, whatever! I keep getting told give it time but... seriously, for you, I'd proceed with dealing with the ER hassle if your pain MD is out of town - no reason to suffer needlessly if there is available relief. Long term, I'd ask for a referral to the best neuro person in town and go see her or him - get that CT Scan too because it shows better or more info than anything else. Hang in there.
  • I hope you managed to relieve your acute pain by this point. I had RFA, 4 on both sides, lower lumbar, and it was an awful experience. It made my pain worse and took about 7 months until I was back to my pre-procedure pain level (still bad, but an improvement). But that's me, everyone has a different experience. I point it out because your acute pain was so close to the procedure. Mine worsened pain was pretty much instantaneous.

I hope you're feeling better and good luck! If it was the RFA, everything will grow back in a matter of months and you should be back where you started.
This discussion has been closed.