Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

When are my steri strips going to come off!?

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery
You can see them in my avatar... One piece came off,(I kind of pulled it off). The rest are stuck tight. It is one week post surgery. They are really annoying and I would like to get them off soon. I know they are supposed to fall off but at this point I feel like they will never "fall" off.
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg

• HI,
    Those little suckers stick like glue! I didn't have a post op on my fusion until 1 mo. after surgery and 4 of them were still there! Don't pull them off, they're helping to hold the incision closed as it heals.
  • Don't pull them off. They usually stay on for 2-3 weeks or so. They will keep your incision line thinner.

• Ok thanks. I thought they were supposed to come off in 5 days. Not sure where I got that from.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I was allowed to take mine off after 5 days, because I always develop issues with adhesive within in a few days. So mine became more of a issue with the glue. ON one of my surgeries they had to come off in 3 days, the adhesive was causing more issues. But like sleepergirl said they will keep your incision looking better, so let them wear off on there own. Now if they start hanging and just one piece is still left pull it off. I would assume you have a glue on the inside so it is not going to open back up, more than likely. But I would keep them on as long as possible to help the looks of the incision. If your lucky you will end with a incision no one can really see.
  • Mine fell off before I left hospital (3 days!) Maybe that is why I got the initial post op infection....
  • My steri strips stayed on for over 3 weeks. They too were stuck on super good and the crusty blood on them looked horrific. They started to loosen up when I applied sunscreen on my neck around the strips. When they finally came off, I was amazed, my wound was 100% healed and the scar looked awesome. It was smooth and really skinny. I would say, leave them on as long as you can, it helps the healing process...
  • They put them on my arm after pulling out the stitches and half of them fell off before I got to the car. I will say that that half of the scar looks much worse than the other half. On my other surgeries they stayed on for about 2 1/2 weeks before they fell off.
  • Went in for my 2 week postoperative visit and my do took them off.