Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Work and sacroiliitis

flanagan001fflanagan001 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Sacroiliac (SI) Joint Problems

I was diagnosed with sacroiliitis 2 years ago although I've been suffering for 7 years with back pain. I had a fusion L3/L4 26 years ago with no problems until 2004.
I am 42 yrs of age, have osteoarthritis, sacroiliitis and degenerative disc disease. I had a second fusion L5/S1 9
months ago. I also have a crush fracture at T9. I am still in alot of pain.
Can't walk or stand for more than a few minutes, have trouble sleeping. Currently working for 12 hrs per week but it's such a struggle. The pain and feeling of being unwell is very draining. Pain is in lower back, hips, groin and thighs, sometimes runs down the front if my shins - both sides but worse on the left.
Does anyone else work with this condition? If so how do you manage? If not are you able to claim for help?

• I have sacroilitis and also bursitis in both hips as a result of my messed up SI. I work full-time, however, I have also not had the spinal surgeries that you have had so this probably adds even more pain for you I imagine. I get by with a combination of Lyrica and a narcotic pain reliever which I take daily to get by. It is tough, however, I am determined to not give up my job. I feel like I have already given up so much of my life it is depressing. I would think that, based on your history, that you might qualify for disability. I would ask your dr. about this, as I believe that they would need a letter or a statement from him/her anyway. There is also an application that you can locate on-line at the Social Security website. Best of luck to you! Lisa.
  • Studies by Cohen show that up to to 25% of all low back pain is sacroiliac joint in origin and that the diagnosis of sacroiliac joint disease is frequently overlooked by physicians.2

Weksler, et al., report that sacroiliac joint problems mimic discogenic or radicular low back pain.3 In fact, many low back pain patients go on to receive lumbar fusion surgery instead of sacroiliac joint fixation/fusion. In light of this, sacroiliac joint disease must be strongly considered in differential diagnosis of low back pain.

Studies by Ha, et al., show that the incidence of SI joint degeneration in post-lumbar fusion surgery is 75% at 5 years post surgery.4

These studies might suggest you look into your SI joint as the cause of your continuing pain. The gold standard for diagnosing the SI joint as a true pain generator is a diagnostic injection using a small amount of a numbing agent.
  • Hi Flanagan,
    i was diagnosed with bilateral sacroiliitis back in 2001 among several other lower back problems,i worked right up till i got hurt again at work in 2009. I havent worked since and still undergoin testing..but i am receiving CPP disabitity i am in Canada dont know if that makes a difference.Working with sacroiliitis can be very painful and difficult,there are meds and injections which can give you some relief..unfortunately injections did not work for me.Hope you get relief, talk to your doctor they should be able to help you with disablity.
  • I am finding it more and more uncomfortable to work full-time with this condition and am scheduled for my first SI Joint injection next week which I'm hoping will be successful *crosses fingers*. If not I know eventually I will have to quit and draw disability, but I'm not going to give up yet! I hope your pain gets better and that you will find something to help relieve it.
  • I had bilateral SI joint injections yesterday, so far so good, I can tell there is an improvement in my pain level but not sure yet how much due to the soreness from the shots. I'm at work today but am thankful for the 3 day weekend coming up. I will go back in 3 wks for epidural shots near L5-S1