Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Due to have surgery in 10 days and my pain has gone.

daniela05ddaniela05 Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi this is my first post.

I'm having a total disc replacement op C5 C6 on 12th July. I've been on sick leave from work for last 8weeks as the pain had become intolerable and was not being controlled by meds. Now 10 days before op I've been pain free for almost a week. Now my minds working overtime do I really need op is it psychological is it because I've had so much rest?
Has anyone else experienced this?

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Because of all the rest and the lack of normal daily stress - activites.

The disc problem has more than likely not majically resolved itself.

If in doubt - have them do another pre-surgical MRI.
    Can't hurt!

GOod luck and hang in there !!

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• The disc problem has not resolved its self. My pain always came in cycles. (always in pain but sometimes only a 2-3) When I had my surgery it wasn't during a flare and they still found the disc to be extremely ruptured.

ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • the day i had my last operation i felt wonderful no pain and the week leading up to it i also felt fantastic .and i questioned why was i prepared to put myself through this? ..i asked my family doctor and his theory was my body was full of the hormones that make you feel good and masking the pain and worry {a bit like dying many people report a feeling of euphoria and feeling well ..apparently it you bodies way of protecting its self when nasty things are just around the corner.good luck with you operation
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Sometimes when we *know* surgery is coming, we get "pain breaks" and think all is well!! It sounds like you are in one one. Tomorrow or the next day, you will probably be back to OUCH big time.

I know *for me* that I felt better for a couple of days -before- my surgery...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Thank you so much for your comments. I think you're all probably right. It doesn't help that with so much time on my hands I think I'm prone to over analysing everything.
    Thanks again.
  • Thats like going to the dentist and tooth ache stops just the day of seeing the dentist. Never fails. Just get active and see how it holds up. If you can get more active and pain dont come back for another 10 days before surgery then only i would re think it . But if it was me and pain would not return for 10 more days i would be runing for the hills to get out of surgery. I would say sorry i have the flu and set new date just to see if pain would stay away for another month. Heck i would just come down with the swine flu or any other illness to avoid surgery lol
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,