Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Scary surgery in about a month

ktrombkktromb Posts: 18
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
Oh, I am SO glad to have found this forum. Misery does, indeed, love company.

I have cervical disk problems and am scheduled for surgery on August 2. I will meet with my neurosurgeon on July 14 and will learn then just which surgery he will do. (My surgery was scheduled after he "pre-reviewed" my MRI films.)

I've been reading a lot of the posts in this forum and am now scared. I had no idea that neck surgery required such a long recovery. And I'm NOT NOT NOT looking forward to more pain. I've been hurting badly since January and my pain doctor has been great but the meds don't really work well anymore. Muscle spasms, especially, seem to just laugh at pain meds.

Anyway, glad you all are here. I'll be checking in regularly to read and write.

• Welcome to our forum and hope you enjoy being here.

I'm a lumbar person, so can't comment on neck problems, but hope your surgery helps with your pain.

It's natural to be scared of surgery because it's fear of the unknown.

All spine surgery takes a long time to recover from and good that you found us beforehand because now you can prepare well and then follow the advice for recovery. My surgeon didn't give me any advice on recovery, but with the help of this forum, I managed well and my surgery has been successful.

Let us know how you go with your neurosurgeon.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi there...yes, anything with the spine is a major surgery. The good news is, most folks I've met that have cervical (neck) issues have done well with surgery.

Also, make sure you get a separate 2nd opinion before surgery. And, ask questions. I like to ask the surgeon if he'd recommend this if you were his/her spouse or child.

Good luck.
  • Welcome to the site. I know that you are scared but try to remember that a positive attitude will go a long way in your recovery!! Also , know that you will not have to go through any of this alone...you have all of us and this site has amazing people that help tremendously!!!! If you ever want to talk then please just let me know!!! All the best to you dear!!!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and and answer whaat questions we can. so glad you are here! you will find lots of good advice and information on the site, so please have a good look around and make yourself at home!be sure and check out the "Back and Neck surgery"forum for more input on your upcoming surgery.. the forum is a great place to come during recovery time as well. it can make a long day go by alot faster.. stop by anytime! there is always someone home! good luck on your upcoming surgery and all the best for a great recovery!! be sure and follow the doctor's orders!! be a good patient!! LOL!! Jenny :)
  • jlrfryejjlrfrye ohioPosts: 1,110
    Hi KT,
    I am neckie and have had 5 cervical surgeries. I have also had 2 lumbar and I can tell you from my experience the neck surgery is a easier surgery. Like Priestess said " A positive attitude goes a long way". Walking daily will help speed up the recovery plus makes you feel better. It keeps all the muscles from locking up. I think you might be surprised or should I say I was, that upon waking from surgery the pain was gone other then surgery pain. Which was very well controlled by my Dr. My point upon waking I felt immediately better. No more crushing pain from compressed nerves. 3 of my surgeries I was back to work part time in 2 weeks. Of course I had a desk job if I had a physical job I wasnt allowed to return for 12 weeks. Good luck with your surgery and if I can answer any questions for you feel free to ask away
  • Thanks so much to those of you who commented. I'm comforted that so many folks have had this type of surgery. I'm sure I'll be a regular reader and poster as I learn more about the type of surgery I will have. For now, all my best to the great folks on this website.
  • I had 4 level ACDF surgery on May 2. The first 2 weeks you're pretty wiped out. After that I think it depends on you. When you have surgery your nerves and muscles can get angry and they take time to heal.

The surgery and initial recovery really weren't that bad. I guess cervical is easier in that respect. Don't overdo it or you will feel it the next day or 2...

Let us know how you're doing. Feel free to PM me and I'll be glad to answer your questions.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi everyone. I had surgery on July 26, 2011 after hitting my head very hard on a steel metal beam at work on Dec 2, 2010. Stayed at home for 12 weeks. I just saw my doctor yesterday and he is pleased with my healing. I am back to work fulltime since October 17, 2011 with a 1.5 hour commute each way. I wear a soft collar while driving. Somedays I want to cry due to pain and other days, not so much. I still take Valium when needed at home, Tramadol if needed while at work and Flexeril (muscle relaxer) at night before going to sleep.

My recovery has been slow but my doctor and physical therapist have both noted improvement.