Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Up all night with an angry leg.

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
I Had a pretty good day yesterday so I thought I would help around the house and weed the side walk because I am biting the bullet and going to have a good 4th of july at all costs. I have family and a few friends coming over for the pool and bbq. In preparation for weeding I used a small dolly to sit on so once I got myself down to "weed level" I could stay that way and just use my cane and good leg to roll myself to the next weed.
I knew I would pay dearly for daring to be more than a couch potatoe but the holiday weekend is here and my wife needs to have some sort of normalcy back in her life.
Now to my topic.
I am sure we all have trouble with sleep and am wondering if anyone out there with nerve damage gets these two issues and how do you deal with them.
I get this crushing pain that feels like my leg is in a vise. This pain kicks my *ss more than any other pain making sleep near impossible. The pressure pain is in my groin and foot. The groin crushing though severe does not bother me as much as my foot. For some reason my foot gets to the point where nothing can touch it. If something does contact my foot the pressure pain at the point of contact builds and builds until you cannot take it anymore and you have to move. When my foot is like this I cannot wear a shoe or sock I have to sit on a recliner with my foot dangling off the end. When sleeping my foot has to hang off the end of the bed.
The second problem I get keeping me up all night is what my wife calls angry leg. For some reason when I am lying down my leg convulses and twitches. My leg does this a little throughout the day but nothing like I get at night after I dared to do any activity. My leg seems to have a mind of its own. The convulsions can range from a small twitch in my big toe to a violent spasm like my leg is throwing a fit. Hence my wife’s name for the sympton “angry leg.”
Does anyone out there have a little trick on how to deal with this? Been up all night and hope to get some sleep tonight.
And hope everybody has a wonderful 4th of July Holiday.

• Hi Gimpy
    I would have responded yesterday but my leg was in a spaz and I couldn't sit still. I would have responded earlier today but today it is the foot that is in a spaz. The night before when the leg was in pain, I couldn't sleep either. Nothing worked and I was up half the night. Last night I found that taking Valium helped calm me down and relax a bit to where I'm not fighting myself. I find it helps to be able to focus on something else and when I can't do that, Valium sure helps.
    My husband knows all about the "angry leg". He complains that some nights I kick a lot in my sleep. He has gotten out of bed on an occaion and slept elsewhere because of it. I am sort of not aware that I am kicking, maybe there is a vague notion of it, but nothing I am really conscious of.
    I've been trying to garden a bit. I am very careful not to mess up the back and I use one of those kneeling pads that has a frame built around it so I can use my arms to help me get up and down. It seeems every time I try to do a little more normal activity I pay for it with a leg or a foot that goes into a spaz. Not the back, the back is okay. Will this ever end? The week after next I go back to my surgeon with lots of questions.
  • Ummmm ....... Got nothing for ya except avoid the activity that ticks it off but what fun is that. ? I do the same thing with the leg (rt) but I use combo of tens , lidocaine patches, narcs and rubbing the hell out of it to keep me sane or get up to walk / change positions. I don't have a pool nearby but I have noticed when it really is unbearable if I can float in a pool it takes the edge off . Never goes away but it helps while I'm in the pool. Get out and the game starts again. Gonna reincarnated myself as a mermaid if I'm doomed to repeat this experimental hell known as a ADR . If I find something that works I'll post it . Thought Alex was onto something with the coconut oil but didn't quite work . Smells good though :) . So what ADR did you have ?
  • Hi Saultup and Michelle.Rubbing the hell out of the leg is one of my favorite past times :-), sometimes it is so bad I punch it. My wife hates that but it works for a bit. After more than a year of inactivity I have decided that Pain be damned I am going to do a few things a week and suffer thru the payback. Why not? Im in pain whether I am move or not, the intensitiy just varies. Ill talk to my doctor about trying valium and the pool does help. I am lucky enough to have one so I am spending allot of time in it.
    The surgery I had was a Posterior Dischetomy (PLIF) but for some reason the doctor decided to try and squeeze in xlif hardware thru my back which apparrently cannot be installed safely thru the back because I woke up in hell.
  • "angry leg" almost sounds like Restless Leg Syndrome. Have you talked to your doctor about your leg?
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Kelly,
    At least for me, this is more of a leg in pain. When I sleep in certain positions, my leg becomes painful and it is, I think, during those times that I thrash about and start kicking. Sleeping is difficult to fine a position that doesn't bring on pain. I hope that a consult with my doctor will bring about some ideas and treatment recommendations.
  • Hi Kelly,
    I have spoken to my doctor and he thinks it is caused by the pain. My bodies way of relieving it for a second. Sounds similar to Saultup.
    When I get this angry leg it is accompanied by an increase in the pressure pain and hypersensitivity in the foot.
    It does get better if I increase by gabapentin but If I take my full dose I get a little crazy after 4 or 5 days of taking it, so I can only take the full dose for a couple of days otherwise my wife has to deal with a lunatic.
This discussion has been closed.