Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to Forum -Coccyx Questions- Caudal ESI

edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Chronic Pain
Hi Everyone!

I have questions about coccyx and sacral pain and epidural caudal injections. Already tried the ganglion impar thing...

I am a 43-year old woman with a coccyx/sacrum injury 4.5 years now. I fell on the stairs and landed directly on my tailbone. I have been in constant, debilitating pain ever since. The worst part is that I can't sit on my own butt, and standing from a seated position makes me cry out sometimes it hurts so badly - truly agonizing.

I sit in a contorted sideways position in a miserable attempt keep my butt from touching anything - so my entire spine is always stressed. I also try to sit on a coccyx cushion with the cutout, but of course - you guessed it - it still hurts like heck.

I cannot sleep on my back, and getting in and out of the car, using the stairs, coughing and sneezing, and even pulling my pants up and down to go to the bathroom is painful. Okay, enough of my sob story.... WAAAH.

I have had multiple blind injections (zero relief), and then went several years with no treatment whatsoever because that doctor had told me the only other solution was tailbone removal which is extremely risky and scary, scary, scary.

So next I tried chiropractic, taking over the counter pain meds, acupuncture, physical therapy, hypnotherapy, compulsive eating, crying, praying, and more... with NO relief.

Finally, I was so happy to find a pain management doctor locally. I have no idea why the previous doctor didn't even recommend pain management. But this new doctor immediately tried a ganglion impar ESI, but I found no improvement.

Next, he tried a caudal ESI and I was not prepared for the pain of the procedure - I've given birth naturally twice without screaming - but I screamed like a baby in the surgery room during the caudal injection. HORRIBLE, with a nasty recovery period that lasted several days. DANG that was nothing short of a hot poker in the spine.

However, I think most folks with chronic pain would agree that even the nastiest procedure is worth it if it actually helps your daily life. Imagine how thrilled I was when 8 days after the procedure I felt 75% relief!!! I still couldn't really SIT comfortably, but ALL other pain was completely GONE. I was cautiously ecstatic.

The doc scheduled me for another caudal injection (coming up in about 10 days) because he said he wants to see 100% improvement.

Now for the rub. TODAY (now 12 days after the caudal injection) the pain is BACK. So I got a total of 4 good days, and I'm just sick about it. I can't believe this evil, disabling agony, is ALREADY back.

Please - is there anyone with a similar experience that could give me advise? Should I bother with another horrible caudal injection? Or is it possible another shot of steriod could be just enough to do the trick? After years of no treatment at all, maybe I just need more steroid in there?

Any advice would be soooo appreciated. I have been very depressed from this chronic pain and I am really desperate for help. Thank you very much for your time, Maya

This discussion has been closed.