Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Any Microdiscectomy Success Stories??

jdd701jjdd701 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello all! I am 6 weeks post op for a microdiscectomy on L5-S1 (left side). The first couple of days I dealt with pretty bad sciatica due to inflammation.....this eventually subsided and is now pretty much non-existent. Weeks 2-4 were pretty good and my spirits were high. My neurosurgeon released me to begin therapy but gave me stretches to do at home vs. seeing a physical therapist. Now at week 6, I am feeling pretty bad pain in my lower back and occassional numbness in my right calf/foot (opposite leg than operation!). My mind is racing and I don't know if something is wrong (reherniation, disc fragment, scar tissue, etc.) or if I just did too much and things are inflamed.

I have walked several miles almost every day since surgery and am careful to not bend and twist. I just started a new job and am waiting for my insurance to kick in and then I plan on asking for another MRI......hoping that the results will give me answers/ease my stress either way.

Prior to surgery I was very active (sports, gym, running, golf, etc.) when my back/sciatica allowed it. I am praying to get back to where I was....vs. having to give up my passions.

There are a LOT of negative stories about post op experiences. Are there any "success" stories out there that can give advice and share their experience? Again, I am at week 6 so any post ops at week 6 or greater are definitely appreciated.

Thank you!!!!!

• Want to welcome you here to the group! Great bunch here, full of support and answers.

Sorry to here that you are experiencing new pain 6 weeks out from surgery. When did you return to work following surgery? Hope that your pain subsides and you are able to receive answers to what is going on (either by talking to your surgeon or new MRI) I hope to be one of the success stories that you are looking for, I have my microdiscectomy tomorrow. There are many members here who have had success, and I am sure they will chime in.

Once again, welcome, and please keep us updated!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thanks for the supportive reply Karen! Good luck tomorrow....and I'm sure you'll be a success story!

Hopefully the other successes will share their experiences soon as well.....I'm very interested to hear if others also had similar pains.

Real quick....have you seen any past posts about playing golf or running after a micro d?
  • Hey there..definitely call your doctor if you have concerns. It might just be inflammation but your doctor will be the best to tell you.

I do know several success stories (though I can't say I qualify as one of them; I'm more of a partial success). Anyhow, one guy I know had one 11 years ago and was great for the 11 years. He had a revision done about a year ago and is good again.

My hubby's cousin had one a few weeks ago and seems to be doing well. I know of about 4 others that are success anywhere from 2 years to about 7 years and still going.

Call your doctor instead of worrying. Have you iced? Taken ibuprofin? if it's inflamed, these should help a little.
  • Thanks for the comment DNice! What constitutes a "revision" and how did it happen? For me success will be returning to what I love most; being active - running, golf, yard work.....just being very active in general. I'll admit, I did not do enough research before committing to the micro d and know I'm a little concerned with my pains and the posts about reherniations and minimized lifestyles. This was not a possibility that my neurosurgeon shared w/me. I had no idea what resorbtion was and thought surgery was my best option. Hopefully it will all work out!

Thanks again for the support!!!