Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New 47 year oldf lady with pain after disk replaceemnt

startersstarter Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
HI!' Im new to the forum.
I had a ACDF on my back one week ago. 7 years ago i had a slipped disk and after 5 days in the hospital and surgery was sent home. I recoered quickly and haent had probelms till April of this year,,211.
In Ap[ril i was helping my daughter as she was about on a day she was planning her wedding.. I moed a few boxes and gae her a back rub. Like me she craes deep throbbing massages. She wants me to go deep and press. I did but warned her that it could cause a disk to bulge.
Well i went home and had a bad headach. Really bad. I asked my other daughter to rub my neck,,somthing i neer do because of the scar on my back. My daughter 21,, gae me a wonderful massage and i fel ther head ach melt away!
but BAM! it was like something hit me in the back. I had a deep aching in the neck area,. It was horrendous,.

Long story short. After two ER isits and about two ists to my doctor who put me on Trnmadol and soma i finally got in to see my old back surgeon or should i say his nurse.. It had been a long time and they had all my records in storage. I had to start all oer again with them.

They oredered a MRI. That took maybe a month. Im still in pain and walking around doing normal stuff, My doctior kept me on tranadol which really did help,.

WHen i finally got in to see myt back surgeon ,he took one look at m,y MRI came in and said that i would need surgery asp, It wasent his excat words but he looked concerened,. I casnt recall what he said erbatim but he said there were two places in the neck that were weak,,one being to the point of dnagerous. That scared me., Still dont know what he meant by that, But he said it was fixabel.
He sent me down to another part of the clinic and had a collor placed on me,. This woudlb e my constant companion for 6 weeks,
I had the suregery and am home. Its been a week and i still hae to take the meds or i hurt.Today despite the meds i suffer a pain near my neck and shoulder blades on my left side that wpnt go away. Im not sure what this is and if thats normal.

I had two old disks remoed and new ones put in. I need support and understanding from peope as my own family seem to getting fed up. The pain meds im on are poercocet but i hae to hae two eery 4 hours or i start hurting again.7 years ago i was put on a pain pump but not this time and am ha-ing a harder timne recoering from the discomfort.

I hae a few percocets left and will need a refill. I ha-e the tramdol left from before they got the results of the MRI. IF I RUN OUT OF MY PERCOCETS < CAN I USE THE TRAMDOL.. UNTILL I CAN GET A REFILL. THE REMADOL IS MINE AND WONDERED IF I COULD USE IT UNTILL i can get a hold of my doctor, Its the weekend and i need my pain meds eery 4 to 5 hours one can go through a prescription fast.

The tamadol is legally mine. Its leftoer from before i was hospitalised.

Is this kind of pain normal and subside with time? Im taking fleeril andf alium for anxiery and muscle tension.

• I'm about 9 weeks out of ACDF surgery and I still have pains I didn't have before. From my experience and from what I've seen on the site it seems that pain you're feeling is normally, especially only one week out. You could check in with your doctor tomorrow if you're concerned.

As far as the meds is concerned you could call your pharmacy to ask if it's OK to use the other med.

I hope you feel better soon.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Thanku Karen
    I can actually feel it itch inside my spine!
    The thing that bothers me is the word my doctor who has to me shown to me to be a resposnible and dedicated doctor, the words to the effect of 'this is is geting dangerous". I was neer able to hae talk with him about this . When i saw him in my hospital room ,, he looked like her was in scrubs perhaps just out of surgery or getting ready to go. I probbably will see the nurse Friday.
    What did he see that upset him? How long hae i been walking around like this becore the neck massage reealed it? If one has disk degeneration,,, and its left unchecked can one juyst get up[ one day andnot be able to moe?

Also wondering how long before the doctors pull the plug on the pain meds. I hae been on percocet a nd flexeril sence i went under the knife,. Im hoping i hae another week or two before they decide to put me back onm the tramdol or een worse some oer the counter drug. Im still hurting ,,,,e-en on the the percotes and itch,,but its bearable.
  • Hi Starter,

I'm still awaiting surgery or for this to DISAPPEAR. I HAVE ANOTHER APPT ON THE 10TH OF THIS MONTH.
    I just wanted to wish you well and hope you are feeling better each and everyday.

Same goes for you Karen. Gentle hugs.