Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Big Boy Backus Introduction

bigboybackusbbigboybackus Posts: 25
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in New Member Introductions
I am 3 1/2 weeks post surgery from a microdisectomy on L5-S1. I had middle and lower back pain and progressive sciatica on my leg left for 5 years. I had tried accupuncture, cupping, physical therapy, yoga, chiropratic, medications, and had over 9 epidurals. I am looking for support and encouragement for other members post-surgery.
My level of pain pre-surgery was 7 to 8 and I had middle and lower back pain 60-70 of the time. I had sciatica radiating from the left knee down the back of the foot 90 percent of the time.from other membersI just wanted to get feedback, suggestions, and support o post operative progress. I am able to walk for 45 minutes without too much pain. Prior to the sugery, I was in average physical health and about 15-20 lbs overweight prior to the surgery. Much of the weight gain over the years has been due to the lack of ability to due any exercise and the schedule. I have a job that requires a lot of plane trips and long car rides - which are not conducive to a back condition.
After my first pre op appointment, my surgeon was satisfied with my progress. I have back pain about 10% of the time (scale of 2-3) about 10% of the time now and I have sciatica about 30-40% of the time (pain scale 30%-40%) of the time, but it has improved ince the surgery. I guess the biggest challenge has been the limitations since surgery, getting to know my limits and abilities, and hoping that I would be able to get back into the "swing of things" sooner.
I am currently on pain killers (4 times a day as needed) which helps manage the pain, and muscle relaxants (3 times a day as needed). I have a follow up appointment later this week to determine the status and next step.
If anyone has any comments, recommendations, encouragement, or expereience, it would be greatly appreciated.
Big Boy Backus

• Welcome to the site!!! I understand what you mean about the "limitations"...it can hard to figure out what you can do post surgery but take your time , your body will let you know what it can and can't do. No over doing it ever...follow what the doc says and try to keep a positive attitude!!! You have come to the perfect place for support and understanding...if there is ever anything that I can do for you then please just let me know. I wish you all the best...take care!!!
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. so glad you dropped in! this can be a great place to spend some time during recovery.. please be sure and follow the doctor's orders! this can be your best bet at a successful recovery and a chance to become pain free!! good luck to you! stop by anytime! Jenny :)
  • Selecting exactly what pandora canada want that is suitable for any occasion.There are many other great pandora bracelets to choose from.For staying up with the latest fashion trends and pandora bracelets canada breaking the bank at the pandora charms time you should consider a coach.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,476
    Sounds like you are heading in the right direction and things progressing well.
    Kudos to you for being able to work and navigate through those situations with all you are going through.
    Let us know how you continue to feel and function.
    Take care
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History