Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgery tomorrow and I'm nervous!

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My surgery is tomorrow (not sure what time yet) and I'm absolutely terrified! I posted a couple of days ago how I was sick with a high fever and wasn't sure I'd be well enough in time for the surgery. Thankfully, my fever has broken and I feel much better. I still have a sore throat and not much of an appetite, but at least the fever is gone. I'm trying not to think about the surgery too much, but I'm so nervous. I'm trying to just rest today so that hopefully by tomorrow I'll feel even better. I have to say, it was so much easier going for my emergency appendectomy and emergency cholecystectomy (gallbladder), because then I didn't have time to be nervous. I've had elective surgery before (a breast reduction). I remember being super nervous about that, but this seems even bigger. Any suggestion on how to get through today?

• Oh wow, I feel for you, I have another 9 days and it seems forever. I hope the day flies by for you, keep busy busy and focus on a zillion things! Glad your fever broke, wishing you well.
  • I know the feeling!

I just had my surgery on June 23rd and it feels like it was yesterday! The worry before surgery was worse than the pain after surgery!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • you are in the right place! i wish i had found the site prior to my surgery. there are wonderful resources. cruise around the site to help you feel more prepared.
    there are some great lists of things to have when you come home and things you would want to do before you go in.

i wish you the very best and will watch for you post op.

take care
  • Hey Kim,

Glad you are feeling better. And, no worries, they will take your temperature and check your vitals just before surgery once again. You have done all you homework and you have made a well-informed decision.

As for today? Do something for you!
    Go treat yourself to your favorite ice-cream.
    Get extra snuggle time with the kids.
    Go get a pedicure/manicure.
    Buy some special comfy PJs for recovery.

Let us know the time of the surgery when you find out. I will keep checking back in but know that I'm sending positive vibes and prayers for an easy surgery, a quick recovery, and low pain!

You will do well!!!
  • so glad to hear that you are feeling better today. You don't want to have to re-schedule and go through all the anxiety again.

I agree that the pre-surgery anxiety was worse than the actual recovery.

Be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.
    That is what I did, and I was pleasantly surprised at how I coped with it all. I did have all sorts of problems along the way, but each thing that went wrong, there was a solution to it. It slowed my recovery, but a few months down the line, the difference was minimal.

Here I am 15 months later, feeling very much better than before my surgery, and if it wasn't for the other areas of my spine playing up, I would be pretty much back to 'normal' (whatever that is).

As I've told you before Kim, I am very interested to hear how your surgery and recovery go. Thoracic surgery is tough, but then so is living with thoracic pain.

Feel better soon >:D< >:D<
    I will be praying for you :-)

• Hi; and i just wanna wish you the best of luck with your surgery tomorrow.

And to tell you to relax alittle. You are obviciously nervous about it, which is understandable, everything will be fine.

when you feel up to it, let us know how everything went.
  • Hey Kim,

Best wishes and let us know how you're doing when ya can.....here's to a speedy recovery! :-)

• I had a bit of nerves this morning as well(Surgery in two days)..but i am trying to keep myself very busy.It was also a bit of an emotional start because i had to say bye to my lil munchkins as they are going to grandmas and grandpas for a few weeks.

Ill keep ya in my thoughts Kim..

• Kim,

I'm guessing your surgery is in the morning. I am sending you positive thoughts and prayers all goes well. Thinking of you... Good luck! *HUGZ*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • I'm waiting in admissions now. We've been waiting for nearly an hour. My heart is in my throat right now.
  • Hang in there, dear.......your relief is on the horizon! :-)

• KimD592 said:
    I'm waiting in admissions now. We've been waiting for nearly an hour. My heart is in my throat right now.
    I would have thought by the time, you would be on the way to the ER by now? Chill out, relax, hopefully you will feel better soon woman!!! *HUG*

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Just thinking of you and see that you are now off-line so hopefully that means the surgeons are working their magic!

Best wishes for an easy recovery.
  • and hoping that all is going to plan.

Looking forward to hearing that you are feeling much better, very soon. :-)

• Still in hospital. Surgery went fine. Doc said was of the herniated discs was very large and pressing on my spinal cord quite a bit, but he was able to get it all out.

The pain is horrific...much worse than I expected. The meds just make me groggy and don't help with the pain. I've been out of bed a couple of times, but I can't get up without help because of the pain and because of the meds.
  • Terrific hearing from you the day after your surgery and that it all went well for you.

In regard to the pain, Ask the nurse looking after you to contact your doctor/anaesthetist to review your meds. Sounds like you need something more to control the pain.

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • They've tried morphine,, percocet, toradol, flexeril, and valium. None of then offer any relief, and most make me feel too spacey. what else could they possibly try? I'm supposed to be going home today. Will they still send me home if my pain level is a 10? I don't think I can stay here another day. I can't sleep and I've eaten one meal since tuesday night. At least at home, while I'd be in massive pain, I have a better chance of eating and sleeping.
  • Glad to hear from you! Hopefully you will find relief soon, and yes, there is no place like home! At least you're on the "other side" now! :-)

• and very sorry to hear how high your pain levels are.
    Are you on IV medication or on oral?
    Did you have a pain pump initially?

If your pain is not being controlled, perhaps you should not go home until it is. Do take your meds on time as, if the pain gets out of control (sounds like it might be already!), it is very difficult to get it back under control again.

I really hope that things will settle down to a tolerable level very soon. Once you get over the first couple of weeks, you should start to be able to move about more freely and will start to feel better.

Meanwhile, we are here thinking of you and cheering you on :H

Very gentle hugs
    >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Kim, good to hear from you.
    If they cannot get your pain to a manageble state and you aren't eating, they will keep you if you tell your doctor that you are scared you will get home and still not be able to eat and control the pain.

I almost had to stay an extra night...not because of pain but because I couldn't stomache anything and they said until I was eating, I couldn't go home.

I hope things start settling down for you today.

• I'm on oral meds now, but I did have a morphine pump initially. But even that wasn't really helping as much as I would have liked. I almost slept through another meal this morning,, thanks to the meds making me sleepy. But I woke up enough to tell the girl not to take my tray. And the nurses here leave you waiting forever for pain meds. Or I'll call and ask for help to sit up so I can eat, but no one comes. Part of me thinks I should have stuck with having the surgery back home. At least there they help set you up to eat and don't allow you to sleep through meals. I'm just tired and in pain.

The nurse just came in and said they ordered oral claudius dilaudid and gave that to me. Fingers crossed it helps. Physical therapy has also been working with me.
  • Sorry for typos...i guess you can tell I'm groggy. Lol
  • I have been thinking of you. I hope that the dilaudid will help with your pain. I am home now, struggling but hopeful.

Rest well, great that physio is helping you (tough sitting up,and standing) I have been taking short walks as well.

Here's hoping we are on our way to a brand new life.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012