Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

hip/leg pain

wolfmanjackwwolfmanjack Posts: 1
Im a 19 year old kid great shape go to the gym mostly everyday or atleast work out. I wrestled for eight years from 4th thru 12th grade. I had some pain throughout the last 2 yrs but it came and went. Latley the past 3 or 4 days the pain has gotten unbearable. I walk with a small limp, have trouble sleeping and in contant pain. I have trouble getting up when I bend to pick something up and it even hurts when im driving my car. The pain is not only felt in my left hip area but it seems to shoot down the side of my left leg as well. My parents wont take me to go to a doctor and are telling me to suck it up. Usually I would but this pain is just terrible it is affecting my daily activities. Will it go away or should I see a doctor?

• Welcome to our forum! I'm sorry to hear you are dealing with this at such a young age and unfortunately reverse ageism occurs dealing with pain in the youth. To answer your question, you are officially an adult now and you are becoming your own person so it may be time for you to have an adult conversation with your parents regarding this issue. Parents usually have your best interest at heart but if your quality of life is affected than you need to seek treatment . Ask them for their insight as to why they refuse help. Help them see your point of view as well. Ultimately though it is your body and life and you should make the decision to seek help even if it's just a evaluation to confirm or rule out a muscular origin . Good luck and let us know how we can help you with this conversation.
  • There's really no harm in seeking out the opinion of a medical professional to get a better idea of your issue. It sounds like you're tough and young. I'm pretty young myself at 23. I've experienced a lot of injuries in my life, but when it came to the sciatica I knew it was time to seek medical advice. It was taking over my daily life and was only getting worse.

If you're at that point, which truly is something only you know, you should sit down with your parents and discuss why you think it's best to see the doctor. In my opinion, an earlier visit with a qualified doctor will likely lead to better care and a quicker successful outcome.
  • It may be due to overexercising at gym or some improper exercise. Instead of concerning about your pain at home go to the doctor and take proper medications and follow the instructions.
  • If you can see a doctor I definitely would. There is no point in being in constant pain if something can be done for you. I had similar problems myself but I found some relief when I got an ergonomic chair. I used a really terrible office chair for about 7 years that really messed with my posture. Make it clear to your parents that you really need to see a doctor.
  • Hello! I'm new here, but I'd like to say a big "howdy" from Texas. You are very young and I am so sorry that you're having to deal with this just when your life is in full swing.

My question is: have you found any positions that relieve pain better than others, such as lying in bed a certain way, or a particular chair or pillow placement? Sometimes this can be a good clue for your doctor to understand what's going on and get you feeling better faster.

Also, by discussing this rationally with your parents, and giving them as much info as possible (such as ways you've already tried to help yourself) it may help them to see a grown man in front of them with a real problem. As parents, we tend to see our kids as children with the phantom tummy ache or the constant growing pains. Sometimes it just takes an adult conversation backed up by research and experience to make them stand up and pay attention to what you're saying.

Good luck and I hope the advice you read on this forum will help you.

Take care! :)