Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

flexeril and soma

startersstarter Posts: 43
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Before my doctor or anyone knew except God,,, that i was in serious condition my doctor put me on Soma for the muscle spasms i was haing.

It would be weeks before the diagnosis.
But the suregeon himself put me on Flexeril in the hospital. I for some reason was thinking Flexeril was a ferior drug.
Iasked the nurse at the spine clinic and she told me that soma was adsic-ti-e, I thought,,well the narcotics im being gi-en are to..

I wont see the doctor himself for another 5 weeks when i hae my collor taken off.

Does anyone know the difference beteween thease two drugs and if Flexeril really does a job or only gies a placebo effect.

still ammused about the soma being addiitie when the pain meds i hae to take hae a addictie potential. . Im off the percs and on hydrocodene now.

Anyone undertsand all this? Does flexril really work.

• I have been on flexeril for a few months now and i can tell you that my muscle spasms have been a non factor

the only issue with it was at first it would make me very tired.for like first 3-4 weeks

nothin a lil cup of coffee didnt remedy

and soma knock me on my ass..i really prefered the flexeril

• Hi!

I also was on soma pre surgery. My Prescription was one Soma 350 at bedtime every night. I took it for about 4 months, 5/7 nights a week. It really worked at the beginning, but made me very tired. I quickly built a tolerance and finally it wasn't doing anything.

After surgery I was given a list of medications to take and was given Valium instead of the Soma, I am still not sure why, I didn't ask at the time. The valium pretty much does little to nothing. I have an appt on Friday and will see what can be done then.

It may have something to do with mixing soma and narcotics. It gives a really weird feeling.

I trust my doc, and have not taken the soma since he told me not to, but I wish I had something that worked!! Muscle spasms are my biggest issue after surgery (thank goodness, but it is still painful)!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Personally have never used Soma, but Flexeril worked well for me!
  • I am currently on Soma, but used to take Flexeril. We switched through many muscle relaxers as I would get used to them. They say that Soma is supposed to more addictive, as when it breaks down in your body it breaks down to a barbiturate, and most doctors don't prescribe for long term use due to the addictive values in it. There has been many discussions on the drug to move it up to a schedule II, sense it is a popular street drug to break down. However, given the other meds I take Soma is really in same qualities as them. I actually use Soma 4 x 350mg and while it makes me tired it really has lost it effect to sleep on, so we added 5mg of valium in at night with it. But I suffer from severe muscle spasms that literally torque my neck. I have had them for years sense this started and Soma is the first muscle relaxer to somewhat control them. It worked best at first, but is loosing some of it's punch.

If your flexeril is working I would stay with it, but if not there are other meds they can work you up with. Most surgeons don't jump straight to Soma, unless it is short term use.