Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Just found out I have DDD between T6 and T10 .. Very low

jonholukjjonholuk Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
Hi, I've posted a couple of times on this forum but today I found out the full extent of my problems... I spoke to the Dr who did the report for the MRI. Due to osteochondritis in my youth (I'm 37 now) I have black discs between T6 and T10 with end plate irregularity in that region .. also with a small protrusion at T7-T8.. I also have 2 disc protrusions at L3 and L4 and L4-L5.

He recommends I now see a spinal surgen .. not for operation but to find out how to manage the condition.

Pain wise .. I'm currently not to bad .. Leg hurts a bit and feels like someone stickin knife in upper back. But it is manageable.

But I'm so worried about the future .. I have an 18 month old daughter and lovely wife.. The Dr thinks I've had this problem a long time... but only had pain the last 8 months..

I'm so down at the moment ....everytime I think about my wife and baby I want to cry.. I dont want them to have to look after me...it will probably weeks/months before I see a spinal surgen to get all the information....

I just don't know whats going to happen .. does it get worse .. how long do black discs last ... I work in IT sitting down all day .. does this make things worse or better ..

Jon (feeling sorry for himself)

• Jon,

I truly believe in place of having pain and not knowing the cause it is better to know the cause and treat it, the proper way. I think you need to do some reading on DDD and see it is not really a progressive disease as many may think. The one thing you need to consider is that everyone after the age of 25 will have some degree of degeneration in their spine, and may never know it. They just have no symptoms to go with it. So don't struggle to much about your wife and child thinking you are cheating them some how.

I think it is right to see a surgeon get a game plan together to treat it and lesson the pain. Who knows you could actually have the right treatments and med combination that it is no longer symptomatic.

I have some issues in my T-spine while yes they bite, we have been able to control the pain. Now if i could only get so lucky with my cervical and lumbar I would be good to go.

I think in all honestly your going to have many fun times with your family. There are plenty of new advancements coming out to treat spine issues, so as time goes on, hopefully you will have more treatment models available to you. Hope your day gets better, and you have less pain.
  • There are very few people in the world who will have an mri and it will not show anything. Most people live there whole life without even developing symptoms or some have some symptoms but never so severe to have surgery. But its good to be aware of it to do everything to help the condition even if its drinking lots of water to hydrate the disc and not smoke they say.

If you can manage your condition with alternative treatments even pool thearapy or whatever else they can tell you about. Last thing you want is going under the knife because then there is no guarantee. So i would not over worry.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,