Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

exercise after 3 level ACDF?

734Greenhouse7734Greenhouse Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am not sure where to post this question so I will start here. I am so sorry if I made a mistake.

I am scheduled for a 3 level ACDF at the end of August 2011. I recently gained weight(throid issue, now resolved). I am expecting great results from the surgery. ( I know it can be horrible also, I am just being optimistic)

Has anyone had a C4,C5,C6&C7 ACDF and been able to exercise again?

• My aunt had a 3 level, c5-6-7 a few years back and is doing great, she is not an "extreme" athlete, but will hike, bike ride, brisk walk, ice skate, yoga, belly dance. She is doing great! She also had a lower back fusion too.

I had c4-5 2 weeks ago. I have been doing some walking, not as much as I should though. It starts to hurt a bit after I walk but only 2 weeks out that is expected!
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • You should talk to your doctor about what he/she will want you to do following surgery. My surgeon, has always started his patients on a walking program the day following surgery. Which is all he allows for the first 6 weeks. You can google walking programs and find some excellent one that you can measure and have a obtainable goal. I am fused from c3-c7, but it was over multiple surgeries, and some set backs. Keep in mind all surgeons are different and it also depends on why they are doing surgery to begin with. Also some may have only a collar while others might have hard brace, such as a Miami J or Aspen. So while the approach and name of the surgery is the same, the surgery maybe done for different reasons, such as myelopathy, stability, nerve impingements and so forth.

The most important thing you can do in your recovery is follow your surgeons orders, I can also tell you my lift weight for 3 months was only 8lbs the weight of a gallon of milk.
  • I used my elliptical machine a few months after my cervical fusion c5-c6-c7 in 1/21/11. I also did some walking and used the dumbell weights for my arms. I was in PT for my shoulder a few months after my fusion. The DR said I could even use my inversion table but that was about 3 months after.
  • I had c4 fused to c5 on July 7,2011. My c5-c7 were fused 20 years ago. My pain post op was minimal. I had no incision pain but I had a sore throat and muscle pain from the neurosurgeon cutting the muscle. I still am wearing a neck brace but it is because I have osteoporosis and he wants to make sure the fusion takes. Best of luck