Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Understanding MRI results re; annular tear

gysbertggysbert Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I just go the results of my MRI which are

"At the T12-L1 level there is a small right paramedian annular tear with very minimal disc protrusion. There is no significant effacement of CSF anterior to the spinal cord and there is no alteration in cord contour. There is no central canal or neural foramen stenosis."

I have a basic idea of what this means but my doctor didn't seem to think it was that bad, and wasn't sure it could be causing my pain (pain on the right side under the right ribs in front and back).

Do you guys think these finding are enough to cause the pain I am having? I am going to see a pain management doc next month but just was curious what everyone thought?

• You might want to look at a dermatone map and see where that level of the spine would radiate out. Without looking I would guess that could be the cause. But there are also other conditions that could cause that pain, which I am sure they have ruled out. Are you seeing a pain management doctor or a physiatrist. The physiatrist will focus more on rehab, and not just medications, or I should say a over all approach. Good luck in pain management and I hope it resolves your issues, keep us posted.
  • Ok thanks...right now I'm just scheduled to see a pain management doc but I will inquire about a physiatrist too.

Is a small annular tear enough to cause a significant amount of pain?
  • We are all different. You can have someone with a nasty MRI, yet they are not symptomatic, and another with minor bulges and in screaming pain. I am one that small hernias cause me all manner of problems. I guess it all boils down to "what nerves" if any are being affected.

Sorry, I know not a total answer, but it is all subjective to each of us and what is being bothered...

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.