Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

After two weeks from surgery

pepippepi Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everyone. I’m a 57 year old male that had upper back surgery two weeks ago. They did a Laminectomy on C7 and T1 and fusion from C5 to T2. I have a 6 inch incision from my collar line down. My surgery is a success. My neck, back, arm and leg pain is all gone. My only problem is the pain around my incision. If I’m lying down I have no pain. If I’m sitting in a chair the pain is not bad. When I walk I get so much pain I can hardly stand it. Most of my pain feels like it is muscle pain, a burning, pulled muscle feeling. I take a muscle relaxer at night and it seems to help but I’m scared to death that this pain is here to stay. I wasn’t in this much pain with the spinal compression. My NS wants to see me in 6 weeks and he thinks I will not need any therapy? Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I've never had any surgery before.

• well glad you had a successful outcome. This is normal for the incision pain. It should go away in a month or so. Nice to see a good outcome. Remember to take your meds before the pain get's to severe. It easier to control a level 3 pain than a level 8.
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. One of the biggest problem i see from neck surgery, myself included is the muscle spasms. I see your only taking a muscle relaxer at night time, have you asked to take them during the day. I have severe muscle spasms and use soma 350mg x 4 a day, so basically every 6 hours I am using a muscle relaxer. Also not sure but if you have a ten's unit, that might help as well. You can also try warm compresses for the muscles or a heating pad or ice. I have used them together, with heat on my back side and ice on the front(learned from a physical therapist). As far as the physical therapy don't worry to much about it, as sometimes surgeons with neck surgery don't use it. Obviously you are still new out of surgery and you shouldn't worry to much about the pain you have left. Try to measure your pain levels by the weeks not day, meaning how bad it is compared to each week. For instance the pain you had when you first came home versus the pain you have currently.

One of the best things you can do for yourself is to walk. Walking will help maintain your core body strength. You can look up walking programs on google and find one that works for you. Keep in mind the walking is above what you would normally do in a day.

Good to hear your doing so well post surgery, and keep up the good work, following your surgeons instructions. Once again welcome to spine-health. Keep us posted on your recovery it is great to hear success stories.
  • Thanks for the replies ... I just got back from walking around 1 mile. Hurt like heck but I just pushed myself a bit ;)
  • you may want to stay away from NSAIDS since they wiil slow down bone growth and take a daily Caltrate Calcium 600 Plus D Calcium Supplement Tablet. That's what I did for the first 2 months or so after my fusion.
  • Took all advice and today I'm feeling great. No more pain medicine just Tylenol !!! I was wondering about taking Osteobiflex? I've been taking it for years and stopped after my surgery. Wonder if it would interfere with fusion?