Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Made a HUGE mistake

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
How much pain is considered normal? I'm in excruciating pain. They started me on dilaudid, but it's barely helping. They are sending me home later today, but I'm nervous about it. What happens if I get home and the pain gets worse? I live an hour and a half from hospital. I just got up by myself to go to the bathroom before. I sat in the edge of the bed to try to eat, but the pain was overwhelming. I broke down sobbing like a baby. I'm thinking this was a big mistake. I definitely didn't anticipate the pain being this bad.

• Tell them you're having too much pain still. Are you taking a muscle relaxant? Sure there should be pain but it should be tolerable. You should see the Surgeon and let him know if you can barely move the pain is too much. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • No, this is far from tolerable
  • Some people come out with more pain than others. I'm not sure if this is normal, but you really should speak with your surgeon immediately!

My recovery was not easy, but if you are in excruciating pain, you should get some answers as to why this is the case. I'm praying for you! >:D<
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • The surgeon says it's normal, yet the nurse says they can't believe the dilaudid is barely working. They keep pushing more meds that don't help.

The pain isn't even localized to the incision, it's my entire back and into my ribs. Even my neck has started hurting.

The chaplain came in and prayed with me. I felt a sense of calm come over me. I think prayer is helping more than the meds. Maybe thats all I need. They are thinking about keeping me another night. We shall see.
  • be in my prayers Kim! I can definately feel for you ( my surgery buddy, two days apart) I am in a lot of pain, and am taking more meds than pre surgery at the moment. I had a discetomy at L4/L5 L5/S1.
    I am home now. You would be better to stay in with the pain you are having, where they can keep an eye on you. My pain is also not localized, still in buttocks as well as back.

It is so early, it is going to get better.

gentle hugs coming your way >:D<

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I'm almost 5 months post-op and sometimes I have terrible pain, not excruciating. Sometimes worrying doesn't help. If the prayers helped you, try to calm yourself down and meditate. What you want is to place focus on something else. I started doing that to help control pain. It's worth a try and better for you than drugs.

We will all be praying for you! >:D<
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches

• I am so sorry that you are experiencing so much pain.

If you are not coping, then I think you need to let them know, and going home on a journey of 1 1/2 hours doesn't seem a good idea.

I agree with Lili about trying to relax and focus on something else, (very hard I know). Stress and being tense will tighten all your muscles, which will make the pain worse.
    My pain levels after my lumbar decompression and fusion were very manageable. I did have a Christian music CD that I had playing most of the time (even at night) and that really helped me. I wish I could send you a copy of it. :-)

I so hope that they will be able to find a way to get you comfortable very soon Kim.

>:D< >:D< >:D<

• Well, they decided to keep me another night. I've been working on walking as much as I can, but this pain is absolutely unbearable. I have a feeling that had I gone home, I would've ended up in the ER back home anyway. I'm going to try to do another lap around the unit tonight, that way they can't say I'm not trying.
  • Do you have someone to help you after you come home? I don't know what I would have done if it weren't for my hubby & daughter being there.
  • isn't the right med for you. I had a dilaudid pump then pills and it does absolutely nothing for me. So for my next surgery, I told my doc that and he gave me morphine instead. It worked much better. Maybe you're like me in that dilaudid has no effect on you. Would it be possible to try a different pain med and see if it gives you more relief?

• You are on strong muscle relaxants, right? Spasms can be horrible.
  • Well, they lowered the Dilaudid dosage since it is sedating me too much. They started me on oral steroids as well. I'm on flexeril and valium for muscle relaxers. They give me the dilaudid every 3 hours. Not sure how often I can have the valium or flexeril. They are also giving me heparin shots to prevent blood clots, so my poor tummy is all bruised. I'm staying at least another night in the hospital.

I do have a concern though. I've had pins and needles in my legs before the surgery, but today it's really bad, and I have pain shooting down my legs. I'll definitely mention it to the doctor, but wondering if this is normal part of healing? I had a drain in, which they took out today.
  • Oh Kim,

I'm so glad they kept you an extra day.
    I thought of one other bit of advice. Can you contact your Primary Care Physician? IF you have a good one, he'll come by to see you and maybe can be your spokesperson.

Indeed some drugs have no effect on people so you might want to ask what the alternative is for this. If they say nothing. Ask them what they would have given you if you were allergic to the drug.

Hopefully the Valium will help. Muscle spasms and muscle tension (which I'm sure you have from the stress of the pain) can actually add to your pain.

The steroid should help inflammation from the surgery be reduced in a day or 2 if that's the issue and if so, it might help resolve your leg issues.

I wish I could give you a gentle hug to tell you it will be ok. I know right now, you are 2nd guessing youself but don't. You did your homework and it will get better...
  • My PCP is an hour and a half away, unfortunately. I guess I'll see what happens tomorrow and go from there. one day at a time, right? Luckily no issues with my heart, so thats a good thing.
  • I've not had back surgery yet, but from my cervical surgeries, I know I had a lot of bad 'nerve' pain after my second surgery - most of which resolved over time. My surgeon explained that due to the way that last level went, the nerves that where now released where basically pissed off, and now where healing.

Maybe that is what is going on with you? I hope you have answers soon. Like others, gentle *HUG* of support, and wishes you feel better soon.

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.

• just wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and hoping that today will be the day you start to feel like you are making progress in your recovery.

>:D< >:D< >:D<