Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Living alone during SCS trial

jayciejcjjayciejc Posts: 59
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I live alone and am wondering if I should try to find someone that can at least come over part time to help me? I have a 2 story house, but had my contractor build me a small "kitchen" in my bedroom upstairs for after my spinal surgeries, so I don't have to go up and down the stairs. I am used to doing my sponge baths by myself, but didn't have to worry so much about moving around when I did them before. My trial is for 5 days. My bed is fairly high up; would there be a problem with me using a step stool to get in and out of it? Any other problems anyone can for see for me?

Thanks for any help!

• We do have members whom went to work during their trial, so you should be fine. I thought the idea was to do all of your normal activities to see if it will help with the pain? The trial wouldn't be of any use if you have someone do all the other things for you, as you won't know the amount of relief you will be getting.
  • jayciejc:

5 day trial...you might find that it is not enough time. By the time I got to 5 days, I was just getting to the point where I could separate the back pain at the surgical site from the spinal pain I have every day. That extra 2 days might make a big difference. I have heard however, that some people know the first few days that it is going to make a difference for them, so once again, everyone is different.

I had a little problem getting into bed and not jolting myself with the stimulation. You might want to turn it down until you get in bed, then set it to your comfort level. Be careful not to set it too high, because they are positional. If you roll over, it could make the stimulation stronger. If its too strong, it could wake you up. I also make sure that I had my finger on the panic button when getting into bed, just in case I needed to turn it off.

I tried to go about my regular activities; however, for me it was difficult. I was in alot of pain the first few days. The other thing, was that I wasn't taking enough of my pain medications. I started to go through withdrawals, which of course made me feel sick.

Good luck with your trial.

• Tamtam is correct, people do all kinds of things during their trial because the purpose of the trial is to see if the SCS will help you during activity and inactivity. I think the notion that a 5 day trial not being enough time, is misleading. Maybe for some folks the longer the trial the better, however for myself and many others, the moment the unit was switch on, I knew it was going to be a big success. The longer the trial went on, the more I tried to convince myself that it wasn't as effective as I thought it was.

So don't get hung up on time frames. Just following your doctor's recommendations and keep an open mind.

It sounds like you have things set up well. Look around your home for things that stick out a few inches. They tend to be wire grabbers. Catching the wires on something can cause the wires to pull the trial leads and/or move them.

• Thank you everyone for answering my question. I have been told that I need to stay fairly still during the trial due to the fact that the leads can easily move while just taped in. I will have to see what seems to bother me while it is in and go from there. I am hoping that I too will be able to tell right away. I am so tired of pain! I know I will still have some, but I am hoping to have a life again instead of having to lie down because of not being able to sit for any length of time.

Thanks again,