Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Arm and knee pain

Sue 1965SSue 1965 United KingdomPosts: 115
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical

Hi-Hope i'm posting this in the right place!

Im from the UK and have had my disc bulge since 2007.It has caused me various problems over the years-back pain-neck pain-sciatica-and severe right arm pain in 2009.

I started again in April of this year with severe neck and back pain and pain in my right arm.

The pain in my neck and back has abated a little but the pain in my right arm-from the area around my elbow sometimes into my right hand and thumb and index finger is excrutiating-some differnt movements of my arm making this worse.

I also have horrendous pain around my right knee which sometimes spreads down my leg-particularly when driving.

The pain is sometimes being mirrored-to a lesser degree-in my left side.

I had a further MRI a couple of weeks ago and was told by my consultant that my nerve compression was worse on my left side which really did not explain why the pain was so bad on my right. He did say he could do ADR surgery but this would only give me a 30% chance of curing my arm pain-nothing about my knee! He has now referred me to an arm surgeon-so I am on a further waiting list.

I have been taking high doses of pregagabin-225mg in a morning and 225mg at night which has affected my short term memory-my ability to formulate words and has generally left me feeling drugged for want of a better word-it hasn't really helped with my pain.

On reading up about this tablet-I have found that some people have experienced pain caused by it-and have therefore asked my GP to be weaned off it to see if my pain is being caused by the tablets and not by my disc. My GP was very doubtful about this although he is supporting my decision-stating that this tablet hasn't usually caused joint pain in someone of my age-I'm 45-usually affects older people.

Is anyone else in the same predicament?! I'm so fed up of the pain and the grogginess-I really don't know what to do for the best.

I'm about 4 days into the weaning process as I type this-the pain feels exactly the same! So not sure if it will get worse by the end of the 2 weeks.

Just to mention I have also experienced blurred vision-think this may be the tablets also?!

advertisement

Comments

• What part of your body was the MRI? Have you had both neck and lower back, since the different issues seem to point to issues in different parts of the back.
    What is the specialty of the doctor recommending an ADR?

I think it is good that you are checking to see if the medication is doing you any good. It seems like medicine is thrown at us by many doctors.

I am sorry you have to go on a waiting list. How long it might before you are seen?

I had surgery earlier this year and my surgeon said that he could only say that my issues/pain should not get worse after having the surgery. He said many do have some relief, but didn't promise it. It all depends on the extent of damage and the resilience of the body to heal.

Welcome to the site.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • Hi

First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find many here with multiple medical issues and pain issues. As far as the pain in your arm, it sounds as though your issues are neck related and that is the part you had the MRI done on? Or was it your lumbar and that is radiating pain from the lumbar. Typically when you have a nerve compression in the neck it will cause pain into your arms. When you have a nerve compression in the lumbar it will cause pain in the legs. Look at a dermatone map and you will see the patterns the nerves run.

I understand trying to get off the medication and see if it could be causing your pain. However if the pain gets more intense then you can always start back up on it. There are many here whom are those kinds of meds and getting good relief, but have the dreaded side effect with memory issues. For myself it was a issue with double vision that got me off the med. I was up to 2500 mg a day. With that said there are other meds out their that you can try, but it sounds as though you need someone who works more closely with all the medications, as in pain management, if you have those type of doctors.

AS far as the ADR, there are several members here whom have had them. One question I would be asking about the ADR if something goes wrong can they remove it? Sense I am not sure what level you are talking about kind of hard to know if it can be removed.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. Take care and keep us posted. If there is anything I can do don't hesitate to pm me.
  • Sue 1965SSue 1965 United KingdomPosts: 115
    Thank you Karen and Tam Tam for your kind words and advice.

My MRI has always been a cervical one since my Consultant told me that he could tell just by looking at me that my disc bulge was in my neck-despite my pain when it first started being in my back!!

How did your ADR go Karen? Has your pain gone?

My pain is definitely getting worse as the tablets are wearing off-and my left side is also getting worse-so do think that the tablets were masking a lot of the pain. The grogginess is far less though-one less thing to cope with!

Not sure how long I will have to wait to see my next Consultant Karen-weeks-months?!

I just wonder if I don't have a go at an operation how much worse I may get-if I leave it will it maybe get better-although each time I have a bout-it now lasts longer and the pain is worse!

The thing is I really can't afford not to work full time-so need to get back asap-hopefully once the effect of the tablets goes I will be able to concentrate a little more-just wonder what kind of state I will then be in pain wise!! The lesser of two evils!!

Thanks again for your kind comments.

Sue :) :)
  • Sue 1965SSue 1965 United KingdomPosts: 115
    :) Hi Karen

Sorry forgot to ask in my last reply-how long has your recovery period been?

As I already mentioned I can't really have too much more time off work..

Thanks

Sue
  • Sue,

Thanks for your concern. I think I'm done with the overall recovery from the surgery. I have a little less pain down my right arm, but now I have it in my left. I posted yesterday about pain in other areas - probably related to other areas compensating or getting used to the new neck alignment.

I have a couple kinds of arthritis, so I'm no doubt having a flare from there as well.

The issue is - with you if there is pinching of you spinal chord or nerves you can get worse by waiting. My surgeon told me he wouldn't promise my issues might not get better, but at least they shouldn't get worse.

Take care.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
advertisement