Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Lumbar disc replacement in NY.... ?

salty444ssalty444 Posts: 149
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I have been searching and searching for a DR in my plan that does the ADR in NYS. I have found a few but they are not in my plan. I searched the prodisc website and still have found nothing. Is there a list of DR's qualified to do this type of surgery on the internet or this site? I'd like to keep it to NYC to Albany NY if possible. Thanks in advance.

• Welcome. I'm from oklahoma but before you decide on ADR surgery I caution you to try to find others that the dr performed on and talk to others worldwide who had the disc you are planning to get . There are good and bad with every surgery but alot of us on here have continued nerve pain from the deal . I had the flexicore l4-5. Just do your research .'good luck
  • Agreed that I would ask around on the material they use. Also, make sure your insurance will even approve it for your age/situation. In the US, several insurance companies will not approve ADR especially if you are younger.

Anyhow, I know a doctor out of Yale that does them but that's in CT. If you can use Yale New-Haven, let me know. Worst case, you may want to contact him and ask him for counterparts in NY that might be in your plan.

• Hello there. I live in NY and ws interested in ADR also but my insurance wouldn't cover it. My surgeon explained to me that since it is such a new procedure in the US that many insurances don't want to cover it. The insurance companies want to see at least 10 years of research.

However, there is a clinical trial going on in NY right now. They will be doing it at NYU (I think the mods should allow me to say that since I'm not giving specific doctor names, right?). My surgeon tried to get me qualified but since I have more than one bad disc I couldn't. Maybe you should mention this to your doctor? They clinical trial pays for the disc, the surgery, the hospital stay, and I'm pretty sure for the follow up visits too. It's worth looking into if you are interested.
  • I just reread my response and it makes it seem like English isn't my first language lol. Sorry for the typos and bad grammar. It's 1am and I'm in pain and on my iPhone.
  • so if I had 2 surgeries on L5/S1, both laminectomies and diskectomy, AND have bulging disc at L4/L5, I am not a candidate?
  • so if I had 2 surgeries on L5/S1, both laminectomies and diskectomy, AND have bulging disc at L4/L5, I am not a candidate?
  • I believe previous back surgery is a disqualifier. You'd have to speak to your doctor though. Or you can go to the pro disc website. They have a list of the qualifications on there.